This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MNPE2>im aka Jefferson Curls back pain

Started by Xabier Errea Mayo, July 16, 2017 · 3 Replies · 102 Views

Xabier Errea Mayo

Hi,

So this is us the third time i have to stop doing Jefferson Curls due to a lower back pain. Every time i will slowly resume  adding weight very little by little and focus on developing more hamstring flexibility to reduce stress I the back pain when doing JC. I don't know how to work this around as this is the third time already since i started. I already had a form check on the private video reviewe and MNPE1 and im were approved.... Any help? I add my JC form if it's out of any help

 

Matthias Schwartz

Hi Xabier, if you are having pain I only have 2 pieces of advice.

First, consult a medical professional to make sure you don't have any real medical issues. 

Second, if you are cleared medically to perform Jefferson curls, start with NO weight at all, as in a wooden dowel. Then work up slowly, 4 kg per month AT MOST. If you have pain on your J Curl you have no business using weight with them. The movement must be pain free on its own first, then weight can slowly be added. Even an unloaded Jefferson curl is quite a workout for the spine, since it has to carry the weight of your upper body. If you can find a weight at which you have no pain doing J Curls just stay at that weight for a month. Then if it feels ok after that month, add 2-4 kg. It's quite likely you progressed too fast in your J Curls and your body is just sending you a message to scale it back till it is ready for the load.

Best,

Matt

Xabier Errea Mayo

Hi Matt,

I have done this process of rescaling over the period of 2 years and always started with 2,5 kilos and adding some weight every month, and it's about when i reach 30 kilos total added weight that i start having problems... That it's why i added a video of my form. That being said, if i don't have any medical issue - I'm going to a chiropractor this week after the two visits I had in the past when I had same issue and they found nothing rather than some inflammation of the tissue, but no mechanical problem. So if it's not a health condition and my form is good, as you said it's again scaling even slower, maybe adding weight every 2 months... Nevertheless, can anyone review my form?

TIA!

Everett Carroll

Hi Xabier,

Great advice above. I recommend holding off on these for now and consulting with a sports physio or other medical professional. You never want to train through pain and a doctor will help you stay safe.