Rest Periods Between Sets

Started by Hayden.M., March 7, 2010 · 3 Replies · 3,076 Views

Hayden.M.

At the moment I am training with a steady state cyle, combining FBE's and FSP's. however, i am not quite sure what rest periods I should be having between the sets of my FBE's. I am doing low reps as my goal is to train for strength (nothing else at the moment) and I am resting 2minutes between sets (e.g. L-pullups followed by back lever work and then 2 minute rest and repeat). The problem Ive got is that Ive read that such a rest period is more likely to give hypertrophy and not strength, yet if I had a rest period of around 3 - 5 minutes, my workout could last me over an hour!

Any opinions or advice please?

I want to get everything right, no mistakes.. and definitly NO hypertrophy

Marcelo Lara

I'm in the same question that you. My las workout took me two hours... but, obviusly, I had more than 4 kind of exercises

Blairbob

FSP 45-90s

FBE 3-5m

It sort of depends on a few factors like how intense the movement is for you and what modality you are striving for (pure strength, density, etc).

1 hour really isn't that bad. A lot of other strength programs (not necessarily gymnastics but Barbell) would take around the same time.

Marcelo Lara

Thanks, that destroyed my conception of 45-90seconds of rest, both of FSP and FBE. :D