This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Eevated and Squatted Seiza + Narrow Hurdler

Started by Nicklas Johansson, July 16, 2017 · 3 Replies · 132 Views

Nicklas Johansson

Hi, 

Been doing the Front Split for a couple of weeks now, good stuff but I have some questions regarding three of the positions. 

 

1 The Seiza: Started of with no problems at all, until I realised the heels should be together. My GOD, it's a huge difference. The thing is though, I don't feel that the stretch on my ankles are different, but when I keep my heels together it stops me from getting deep in the position and Here is the important stuff : I don't experience the ankles to be the limiting factor, but other parts of the lower legs. I can't really define where I'm limited, it's almost like trying to bend a piece of wood ;) The problem is of course that I don't reach the stretch of the ankles when I do these exercises, since I'm limited somehow when I put my heels together. Like I said in the beginning, if I have my heels seperated I can do all the exercises and feel a really nice stretch in the ankles.  

 

2 The Hurdler: There are many dimensions of this exercise that makes it special, but when I get into the proper position I get a strain in the knee (the bent leg). I usually turn the knee outward away from the other leg to release the pain/strain - more toward the position of the wide hurdler.

Do you have any recommendations how to progress this and maybe tips on what to focus on u til I can do the narrow hurdler correct? 

 

/Nicklas 

Guido Franchetti

Hi Nicklas, not a coach here, but waiting for one to comment here is what I know.

1) Very many people, myself included have this problem. From what I have understood, the essential point is to keep the ankle straight and in line with the foot. Wether it is better to stay up higher and with heels together, or lower with ankle straight but heels not touching I am not sure, but I tend to do the latter. Many people prefer to stay higher, and some use a band to tie the ankles and heels together. Note that even if you are lower and your heels do not touch, you can still engage the muscles to bring them closer rather than stay completely relaxed.

2) Avoid the strain at the knee because it is a ligament strain. I also keep the knee slightly more rotated outwards, alternatively/in addition you can elevate the buttocks opposite to the bent leg using pillows or a yoga block. As your hip mobility improves you should be able to get into a position closer to the one demonstrated. It takes time though.

Pauline Taube

Hi Nicklas,

Nice pointers from Guido :) 

Feel free to submit a from check to ensure form!

Nicklas Johansson

Thanks for great comments. My iPad tries to autospell in swedish sometimes, this is why some words are wrong, sorry for this :-) 

//Nicklas