This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Neck Rehab

Started by Igino Vaglio, July 16, 2017 · 7 Replies · 102 Views

Igino Vaglio

Hi,

It's the first time I post and I am doing so for advice.  I got hurt 4 years ago on my right shoulder when doing a monkey bar pass through.  I am starting "GB Thoracic Mobility protocol" and when I do "arches" I feel some discomfort in the inside of the elbow.  When doing "banded arches" and "chest to wall" handstands, discomfort is in the back of my shoulder.  

Pictures here: https://sites.google.com/view/shoulderandneck/discomfort-areas-movement

It is difficult for me to understand if I should persist trying and stretch it a little more so that blood flows in and heals, or is it better for me to stop.  I want to heal and don't know how.  I have seen several doctors during these 4 years following their advice but have not been able to heal.  My neck sometimes cracks a bit if I tilt it.  I also noticed that my chest is not aligned and one arm drops more than the other.  

I made a visual website with short videos, more specific, that explain my situation.

https://sites.google.com/view/shoulderandneck/

 I want to heal soon, please help.

Thanks

Gino

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Igino, with good probability it is the rotator cuff and the posterior capsule. the Series has 3 exercises that I suggest you do more frequently:

-posterior capsule stretch

-cat stretch (do it one arm at a time and then one set with arms together as in the course)

-inverted cat stretch.

Generally speaking, do not push the exercise up to the pain sensation.

Igino Vaglio

Thank you so much for replying Alessandro.  I realized I have no internal rotation either on my right shoulder (the injured one).  Here is a one minute video I did yesterday about it.  Would your prescription change because of this?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Igino, it seems to be a case of capsule adhesion. have you ever checked a physio?

Igino Vaglio

Hi Alessandro,

I have been to a few "physios" but maybe not the correct ones!  I do not trust they were really capable.  One of them helped through weekly massage in the area.  I received massage for almost 1 year weekly.  The tightness I used to have is gone.  But after so many massages, if he was hitting the correct spot then probably I should have healed, so I believe he did not hit the correct spots.  Here is a 2 min video of what I have tried:

the following is a 1 minute video of the therapies that have helped the most:

 

Luke Searra

Hello Igino,

I cannot offer you advice here but it sounds from your videos like your physio did make progress with you. If I were you might also consider seeing an osteopath that will hopefully have a CSCS qualification as well. It sounds like another referral, but definitely give it a try, you have gone through Kelly Starrett, Ben Burgeron, David Durante etc etc etc. , but please think about giving it a try.

Igino Vaglio

Thanks for your Reply Luke and Alessandro.  I have these two doctor options hopefully they can help:

Option 1) A french Osteopath D.O. and Posturologist

Option 2) A Physical Rehabilitationist, specialist in Sports Medicine.  Expert in: Infiltrations Posturometry Rehabilitation of the locomotor system Treatment of soft and articular soft tissue injuries, Tennis elbow, Muscle contractures, Nonspecific Back Pain, Swimmer's Shoulder Sports injuries, Acromioclavicular luxation, Inadequate nutrition, Flatfoot, Lumbar Radiculopathy, Patellofemoral syndrome, Tendonitis, Tendonitis of the rotator cuff.

However, this second option, when I went to see him in 2016, he says everything stems off from a leg length discrepancy of 1.04 cm and I bought special "made to measure" soles, because he also noticed my trunk imbalance (pictures attached of the diagram of my trunk imbalance).  However after using the soles, I do not see any improvement and so not sure if this doctor is the correct one to repeat.  Not quite sure why he went to my leg length discrepancy instead of treating my more urgent problem.

Any suggestions?

Please view the below attached foto-diagrams of trunk asymmetry

 

back diagram standing.png

chest diagram standing.png

Igino Vaglio

Hi Alessandro, Luke:

I did not think anyone would reply to my post and your feedback has helped me in taking action for a solution. I also have gained a lot of respect for this forum and gymnastics bodies organization because of the careful and active community.  Thank you for this!