This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Abdominal pain near ribs

Started by Jonathan Mitchell 233254, July 15, 2017 · 3 Replies · 80 Views

Jonathan Mitchell 233254

Hi,

This is my first post, I've been reading my way through many others in the forum and found it very helpful. I have had golfers elbow on both arms but more so on my left side and am coming out of that thanks to info from these forums and my physio. I had adapted my training so was doing a lot more lower body work and as a result had my left knee become sore so adapted my workouts so that I wasn't working as much range of motion as that is what flared up the knee. Everything seemed to be settling down again then in the space of a week my left foot was in agony (symptoms of stress fracture but I don't think it is) and the left side of my abdominals is unable to contract properly.

When I sneeze it hurts on the top ab on the left, it feels like the muscle tries to contract, fails and the sensation is similar to a cramp but it isn't a cramp. I can maintain a tuck hold position but more dynamic movements cause considerable pain. I plan on resting it same as I have with everything else until it can be used properly. I wanted to know if anyone has heard of this before/experienced it as I can't find out much about it. I know in a podcast Coach mentioned 'where do you feel pain' is it in the muscle body or the joint, as that dictates what you can do with it. Honest answer is I don't know as the abs aren't really on a joint...

Regards,
JP

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jonathan, I admit that it is strange, I have a couple of ideas but I prefer you to a physio before suggesting something more.

Nicholas Murray

The abdominals and diaphragm attach to the lower ribs via various tendon structures, so this is possibly (no way for anyone other than your physio to tell!) where the problem MIGHT be. Both muscle groups will be under tension when you sneeze.

What does your physio say? 

 

Jonathan Mitchell 233254

My physio is stumped, it's not something he's come across before, he said other than strains the abs don't really get hurt. As I assumed his recommendation was to rest it.