This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Journey

Started by Hans Flühmann, July 13, 2017 · 5 Replies · 146 Views

Hans Flühmann

I'd like to write down my journey so far and are looking for tips hints for my further goals

 

I'm a 29 year old male, 185 cm (~6'1'') and last summer I was around 102 kg / 225 lb which is kinda overweight although I tend to hide that really well, lots of people would never have guessed me this heavy. I play lacrosse 2 times a week and sometimes even in international tournaments. As age is slowly catching up, recovery is not the same any more and slight back pain after practices started to show up more often than not. Long story short I still wanna play competitively, be who I can be, improve quickness and endurance, just look like someone who does play a sport and for that I decided loosing weight was the quickest fix. 

First thing I did was to stop eating unhealthy snacks, soft drinks and all the stuff even a normal person knows is bad and around October 2016 I was down to 97 kg without any help of a program. It was then when I started with Trive and the Foundation I course.

Over new years I was on a 5 week holiday to New Zealand, in February i suffered an ankle injury that took me 8 weeks to recover but I tried to follow the program and weight came down to 94 kg.

From there my weight came down to 92, 88 and now this morning I've been at 87 kg. I remember each of these numbers because it took me 2-3 weeks to break trough and sometimes it felt like I've been stuck, cause I started to weigh myself in the morning daily which has its good and bad sides i guess...It can make you a bit nervous.

That makes a overall success of minus 15 kg / 33 pounds. Not the most amazing story but now I feel much lighter, more confident in taking my shirt off and in general my performance has improved. The whole ride felt kinda casual and I rarely did feel empty or hungry though the days. I just came to the conclusion that I'm kinda sensitive to carbs and therefore as long as I follow protocol and am very strict with the carbs I'll make progress. And slow progress is good progress.  

I did the Foundation course twice a week but in June I took on a bet to run a 7 km race in 30 minutes (so far 32 min 20 sec is the record, but if the stars align I might make it as I have improved and will be well rested) and since then I gradually reduced GB to once a week in favor of 3 running / interval sessions. 

The race will be Friday next week and right now i focus on that but I learned the hard way that running and being in a calorie deficit makes training very though, there were more than one session I felt somewhat empty and tired quickly.

The lesson is learnt, long distance running and weight loss at the same time are hard if not goals that are opposite, at least for me. And to be honest Lacrosse needs a bit a different kind of conditioning anyways. 

 

So overall I am very happy with Trive, last time I was 87 kg was probably 5 years ago and that's a big deal for me. I think it is now time to do this race then refocus and go for the last 5 kg I want to loose. 82 kg seems a fine goal. 

My plan is to do GB three times a week Mo/We/Fr early in the morning with an optional conditioning session on weekends while following the program to a tee. I think loosing weight is still my main focus, but the strength training will be very beneficial for that as well and enhance my performance. I mean I don't wanna be skinny fat. :D  

 

Maybe I'll attach a before after picture tomorrow but I've attached a table with the last three days (beginning of that month) where I've written down precisely what I ate. So maybe you can check this and give me some tips for improvement. I sometimes do that to keep me honest. 

 

Untitled-1.jpg.51bcbceafb04df0a0b14209689324515.jpg 

  

thank you

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Hans, nice work with your progress, what about now, the more you move forward in the foundations the more the exercises become complex the more energy you need. you need to write down your weight at the end of the week and from here decide to add or take off some calories.

Jeff Serven

agreed and great work!!

 

Hans Flühmann

I just updated the picture in my profile and wanted to do this here as well...

I was kinda anxious about it but I'd like to make myself accountable for more progress in the future. I hope to update in another few months with more strengths.

 

 

Spoiler

BodyCompHans.thumb.jpg.499a9e8e66fd7fd697262b9425d5f9d2.jpg

 

Pauline Taube

Awesome progress and amazing journey, Hans :)

Keep up the great work, I am looking forward to see your future updates :D

Jeff Serven

Dang dude?! Great progress. Nice work