This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Diamond frog / regular frog

Started by Peter Ols, July 13, 2017 · 5 Replies · 174 Views

Peter Ols

Hi,

I have a backgroud in many years of martial arts where I probably got hurt and got scar tissues in one of the shorter adductors (longu, medius,brevis, pectineus).

When I do diamond frog it feels that I hit the area that has been both tight and short and it feels good to finally get a way to both strengthen and increase flexibility here. Is it correct that this exercise activates the shorter adductors/hipflexors?

When I do regular frog I can not feel any stretch in the muscles , instead it feels like it is the joint that is restricting. Elevation is approx 100 degrees between the femurs. Is it possible to open the joint? 

I am afraid of grinding and have got pain after frog earlier.

Alessandro Mainente

Peter, yes, the groin muscles wich cannot be stretched with bent knees are the primary goal, also the sartorius it is a bit stretch. it is a bit an exception since the sartorius it is a 2 joints muscles which act also as a hip flexor.

Yes it is possible to open the joint, sometimes the tight capsule it is the problem, it can be easily solved with more dedication to the piriformis variation.

Peter Ols

Thanks very much Allessandro!

I will use the 2 piriformis variations that I saw in a (think it was yours) picture here on the forum.

Suzanna McGee
17 hours ago, Peter Ols said:

I will use the 2 piriformis variations that I saw in a (think it was yours) picture here on the forum.

What is the other piriformis variation than the one that is in the course? I think my piriformis would love to get some extra attention from me as well… (my Diamond frog is really tight as well). 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

What is the other piriformis variation than the one that is in the course? I think my piriformis would love to get some extra attention from me as well… (my Diamond frog is really tight as well). 

I think he is referring to piriformis L and R.

Peter Ols

I read in a thread here that you can place the front foot even more to the side of the centerline of the body to get more of a hip capsule stretch.

There was also a picture in this post that showed the 2 variations.

I do the both and they feel a little different. The one with foot of centre feels more in the hip capsule "core of the hip" and the regular more on the side/backside, hopefully pirirformis. :)