This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow bridge

Started by Jin Liu, July 12, 2017 · 4 Replies · 69 Views

Jin Liu

This is my most successful attempt yet. My biggest problem is that I can't seem to keep either end from sliding. Plus I don't feel the stretch in the upper back. I've been doing the elevated bridge instead. Is it a bad idea? What are the benefits that are specific to elbow bridge, compared to a full bridge?

 

Suzanna McGee

@Jin Liu, Alessandro will for sure give you an excellent answer… I am on this progression too, and I struggled horribly at first, now it's getting much better. I feel like I am more on the top of my head (compared to you) and thus not sliding as much (aka, my head is more vertical). And I feel the stretch tons in my chest (besides the back), which I don't do if I would do the elevated bridge. 

Jin Liu
10 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Jin Liu, Alessandro will for sure give you an excellent answer… I am on this progression too, and I struggled horribly at first, now it's getting much better. I feel like I am more on the top of my head (compared to you) and thus not sliding as much (aka, my head is more vertical). And I feel the stretch tons in my chest (besides the back), which I don't do if I would do the elevated bridge. 

Thanks @Suzanna McGee. Good to know how an elbow bridge feels like when done correctly. I noticed my head isn't as vertical as it is in the course video. If I try to push my head to be more vertical, it slides instead, and it feels awful, like someone is pulling on my hair from behind. Maybe my technique to get into the position is quite not right. I'll try to put more weight on the elbow instead and focus on arching more in the upper back when adjusting my head to be more vertical next time.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jin Liu,

Try retracting your scaps even more and make sure that your more of on top of your head like @Suzanna McGee said. Make sure to warmup thoroughly with the previous mobility elements. Handstand One mobility will also help here in opening your chest and upper back.
 

Jin Liu
43 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Jin Liu,

Try retracting your scaps even more and make sure that your more of on top of your head like @Suzanna McGee said. Make sure to warmup thoroughly with the previous mobility elements. Handstand One mobility will also help here in opening your chest and upper back.
 

will do. Thanks Leo!