This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hbp and Rd pe2

Started by Valerie Morwood, July 11, 2017 · 3 Replies · 130 Views

Valerie Morwood

I'm finding it hard to make progress in hbp PE2 and rc PE2. Looking through previous posts, I know I'm not alone. I think I just need to keep at it to get a base level of strength and endurance. So, for those of you who have struggled and mastered these progressions, did you find that once you got these, further progressions in hbp and rc were hard but relatively easier since you built up that basic strength? Or is every progression going to take grit and determination to not quit when I feel stuck?

Matthias Schwartz

Hi Valerie,

I am not that much further along than you. However, from looking ahead and from what I've heard from others, that later PEs and SEs become more strength/technique-oriented and less endurance oriented. Not every progression will be an endurance slog. That said, I think Coach's motivation for making the earlier progressions so endurance-oriented is to make sure we get lots of volume under our belt to build joint strength, neurological efficiency, and work capacity in addition to muscular strength. This will help performance and safety for the later more challenging progressions. Keep at it! I believe it will get easier. Enjoy the journey of where you are now. It will provide great dividends later. Of that I am sure. And of course the mobility work is gold. At this point we just need to put in a base level of work, and it can take a while.

Best,

Matt

Everett Carroll

Hey Valerie,

Like Matthias said, as you get more basic strength and mobility under your belt, progress does speed up. From my experience, those who put the most energy into the refinement of the basics see the greatest return. That said, if you've been plateaued for some time then I suggest working with us coaches on the form check side. Never be afraid to go back in steps or progressions to retrain; it will only help you in the long run.

Valerie Morwood

Thanks for the encouragement. I am enjoying the process, and I'm pretty excited about how far along my push-ups have come (I'm on step 8).The rows are still pretty challenging (I'm really struggling to get through 9x5). But it is nice to get encouragement from people who have been where I am. I know endurance takes time, and even as I keep at it I can feel how much better my technique is getting as I learn to engage the proper muscles. The challenge actually is really motivating.