This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginner Help (Please)

Started by Anthony Mink, July 11, 2017 · 1 Replies · 109 Views

Anthony Mink

Hey everyone! 

I am brand new here, and I've been doing the fundamentals course for a couple months now. I am VERY, VERY inflexible in my hips, hamstrings, lower back and it causes me a LOT of stiffness/soreness and lower back pain. 

Plus I work from home, on my computer 8,10,12 hrs per day which I know is adding to the problem. 

I played college basketball and have always worked out / lifted weights but never really stretched before and it feels like the road ahead is going to be a VERY long, SLOW and PAINFUL one to get my mobility where it needs to be. 

My hips are so tight I cannot sit cross-legged. I can barely touch my toes and I cannot do squats without something under my heels due to ankle injuries and a lack of mobility. 

I'm writing this post because, in the fundamentals course, they give all the exercises, demos, etc but there isn't any info about how often we should do the exercises, how many reps/sets, etc. and I'm really looking for advice/best practices. 

Can anyone give me some guidance on how often I should be doing the fundamentals? Everyday? 

Also, fundamentals are made up of 4 blocks. Should I be rotating through them, one at a time? Should I do them every day? 

The material is great, but I feel like the guidance/direction is lacking and I'm really looking for someone to say, do these exercises at this frequency, then these, etc. 

Any thoughts/guidance would be VERY helpful. Also, would love thoughts on the difference between the fundamentals and the stretching series. 

Thank you very much!

 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to GB! Great questions. I suggest checking into these forum threads:

Those contain the answers to the majority of your questions. 

The stretch courses are much different than Fundamentals, as they are designed to be done long term, just like the Foundation Series, Handstand, and Movement. The stretch courses provide weekly stretching routines designed to help you develop the active and passive flexibility need for GST. 

After looking through those resources, please post any follow-up questions in this thread. We are always here to help.