This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hawaiian Squat SE1

Started by Johan Gustavsson, July 11, 2017 · 4 Replies · 101 Views

Johan Gustavsson

Hi!

Im currently at SE1 for the single leg squat - The Hawaiian Squat. 

I am following Coach recommended schedule on the foundation, handstand and stretch series.

Im looking for some form advice. First time filming myself and I did not think it would look as bad as it did. I am lacking a lot in ankle and hamstring flexibility?
Can I get some adivce please? Questions I would like to answer is: Should I accept the terrible form? Should I go back a couple of steps? Should I add in some extra mobility? Should I raise up my heal a bit(as seen in later part of the video)?

Password for the vid is: gb
https://vimeo.com/225097291

Br
Johan
 

Luke Searra

Johan,

1) No. Never accept terrible form.

2) If you can only do the movement with terrible form, YES, back off.

3) If you have to raise your heel for your Hawaiian squat, you are not mobile enough to do the movement properly. No, do not raise your heel off the floor.

4) Your video is marked as private my friend, please change the permission so we can see it to help you.

Good work so far.

Johan Gustavsson

Thank you for the straight and clear answers. Seems like the right thing for me is to jump back quite a few steps. Perhaps I will start testing mastery from the beginning to see were I get stuck.

Adjusted the settings for the video, so you should be able to access it!

Everett Carroll

Hey Johan,

Sorry for the confusion. Password protecting Vimeo videos IS accepted, so if you could please make it a private link again we would really appreciate it.

My best suggestion for you is to avoid hunching forward with your torso. Use your arms as a counterbalance and work to remain more upright. 

Do not elevate your heel. 

Extra mobility to work on would be the Front and Middle Split Courses, specifically the ankle and piriformis stretching.

Go back as many steps as necessary to make form the priority. Building volume comes after mastery of form. 

Johan Gustavsson

Ok! Its now set to password protected again. Password is gb.

Thanks for good answers. I will take advices with me and regroup. When I manage to attain proper form I will upload a new video ;)