This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow bridge question

Started by Christian Nogueira, July 10, 2017 · 8 Replies · 101 Views

Christian Nogueira

Probably a silly question but does the head bear any of the weight with this variation? 

Everett Carroll

Some, yes, but I do find that when I put more weight into my elbows I get a better stretch in my upper back. 

Suzanna McGee

When I started this one a few weeks ago, I thought my head would pop off  :-) As I am getting more flexible in my spine (and I think hip-flexors), and also in my chest, that allowed me to put more weight on the elbows more comfortably, and thus much less on the head. Now I don't feel like I am going to pull out all my hair… 

Christian Nogueira

Is it alright do perform it in this manner ? 

I find this way more natural than the one shown in the F2 video, with hands clasped together (not sure why though).

Alessandro Mainente

The exercise int the course video puts more stretch on the chest muscles, so please perform that one.

Christian Nogueira

Ok, will work on it. It definitely feels that way. 

Just out of curiosity what is the mechanism at work that hands clasped together vs hands nears elbows makes such a difference ?

Jin Liu

I can't answer your question, but I also like the variation in the video. My problem with the elbow bridge is my head kept sliding forward, causing the bridge to collapse. Got so tired of it :(

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Christian Nogueira said:

Ok, will work on it. It definitely feels that way. 

Just out of curiosity what is the mechanism at work that hands clasped together vs hands nears elbows makes such a difference ?

Because the angle formed by the upper arm in comparison with the torso it is the difference, with hands behind the head the angle moves up to 110°, with elbows overlapped up to 180°. different angles for different muscles stretched.

Christian Nogueira

Thanks Alessandro, that makes sense.

I played with this again and I think my error was trying to not put any weight on the head, reviewing the F2 video, he is using the crown of the head to support with help of the elbows, that way I can do it. 

Except for the minor detail that I need to get the legs together :(. Damn for once I'd like that a desk job helped with GST ;).