This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand/ Tripod Progression

Started by Christopher Chien, July 10, 2017 · 7 Replies · 209 Views

Christopher Chien

Hi, I've been working on the tripod series since January - and I'm still on step 3.  I noticed whenever I do the tripod exercise for the handstand series, my neck and back starts to get sore afterwards. I saw my chiropractor, and he told me that I was doing the tripod exercise incorrectly. My hands were in the wrong directions and my neck was too arched. 

In the handstand series, there isn't much written, verbal or video direction on the correct form you should have for the tripod. Can I please get some direction on what I should be paying attention to achieve safe and proper form? And perhaps what would it look like to do safer or easier progressions? 

Thanks Coaches!

 

19859303_10101531938988829_1238395234_o.jpg

19866831_10101531939033739_1198683589_o.jpg

Luke Searra

Hello Christopher,

The second progression is not how we do the tripod in GB, because the backward facing hand position does not carry over into handstand (even though this is a mechanically solid position for this position only), forward hand facing mechanics. Also try to play with getting your hands further away from your head to increase your base of balance. If the above picture with the reversed hand position is what your physio was advising for your GST tripod positioning, I would have to respectfully disagree with his decision (although the movement mechanic is original and solid).

Luke Banchy

I'd like to chime in on this thread as I am also concerned about form.  I'm not sure how much weight to put on my head, and the position that the head should be in. I can do the exercise quite a bit longer if I put more weight on my head, but I'm not sure how that helps my handstand training. It seems to me most of the weight should fall on the arms, making the traps/upper back handle most of the load. However, when I try this, I can't hold the position very long at all, and it almost feels like I'm trying to hold some sort of a bent arm tucked planche. 

WRT head position: The provided video shows a forehead to ground approach, while I've seen other form checks with a more "stacked spine" get the OK. Which is ideal? 

If forearm to wrist angle is to be around 90 degrees, it seems inevitable that a lot of the weight ends up on the head and neck. 

Feeling lost, would love some advice,

Thank you

Everett Carroll

Hi Luke,

Equal weight between the three points of contact is what you're aiming for. 

The head position somewhat depends on your comfort, as there should obviously be no neck pain or discomfort. I prefer forehead contact and tucking my chin slightly fro there to better support my spine. 

Your best route is to submit a form check video. That is the easiest way for us to provide specific help. 

Christopher Chien

Hi guys - the bottom picture was what I was doing BEFORE the physio corrected my position. The ABOVE photo is after he noticed my incorrect hand placement. 

Ok so it sounds like I should use "forehead" contact instead of the crown of my skull. And I should tuck my chin in slightly. Is that correct?

I would like to suggest that the Handstand series should at least have some more video instruction or least least written instruction regarding the tripod - because it does involve the spine and could cause injury. I would have really appreciated one of those Wesley Tan videos that are in the Thoracic Bridge and Foundations videos. Those are fantastic.  I was doing the tripod form wrong for a couple of months, and I had no idea. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Christopher,

The head position in your first photo is closer to preferred. Again, keep it comfortable and feel free to post more photos or videos if you continue to have trouble finding a comfortable position.

We appreciate the feedback and are always working to improve the courses. We know how valuable Wes's videos are; that is a great suggestion.  

Luke Banchy

Just want to say thanks Everett! I've found your input here and on the F1 forums to be the most helpful.

Christopher Chien

Thank you Everett!