This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE2

Started by Ludvik Solnør, July 10, 2017 · 5 Replies · 77 Views

Ludvik Solnør

Hello,

I've been struggling with this PE for a while now. Can't seem to get past 4x6. Any suggestions on form improvement? I've tried to hold the bottom position after the 4th set for 30 sec and doing a few sets on the previous PE, but I feel I'm stuck. I'm also doing the mobility portion right after and continuing with the next set right after that.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ludvik,

Not bad. I recommend taking a few steps back and dialing in your form. Once your form is locked in, adding reps and sets will be easier as you will be strengthening your body in the correct position.

As you do your push ups you are picking up quite a bit of pike in your hips. Squeeze your gluts and push your hips towards the floor to help maintain PPT. Your protraction at the top of your reps looks good, however, you are picking up too much hollow in your back. Protraction is done by moving the scapula laterally while hollow is caused by curling the spine. Your goal should be to move the scapula without curling the mid and lower spine.

At the bottom of each of your reps, work on touching your knees, hips and chest to the ground in that order, respectively.

Ludvik Solnør

Ok, thanks for the reply! Does the video in the course library for the push up show the "perfect form"?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ludvik,

It is always a good idea to refer to the videos in the Course Library to see how an exercise should be done. I also recommend taking another look at the Technique Tip video as it gives a great explanation of how to do this exercise properly.

Matthias Schwartz

@Ludvik Solnør

Jeffrey gave great detailed advice on technique. To hit it from another angle, one thing I do to get past certain plateaus is add some sets to the exercise. For example, 4x6 is 24 reps total, and 4x9 is 36 reps total. That is a large jump in reps to the next progression. What I do to get past that large jump is to add sets before adding reps. That is, I make sure I can do 5x6 and then 6x6 with correct form before jumping to 4x9, where I am currently at. Of course you could take another tack and try 4x7 and 4x8, or some combination of additional sets and reps (5x7 for example, to get to 35 reps). There are different ways to attack it. Just remember to keep the rest short, same as the workout video, as that is essential to building work capacity.

Best,

Matt

Ludvik Solnør

Great. Thanks for the tips, Matt and Jeffrey.