Trapeze & GST

Started by Nicholas Murray, July 10, 2017 · 1 Replies · 2,072 Views

Nicholas Murray

Just did a 2-hour intro trapeze course at an aerials school. It was "static trapeze", so no swinging (not voluntarily, anyway). Lessons learned:

  • hanging off a trapeze (behind the knees), like anything, is something you get used to. Will be very sore tomorrow.
  • I need to work grip for endurance - even the small movements hanging upside down off a trapeze amplify the amount of endurance needed. I thought I had reasonable grip....
  • Standing on a trapeze, foot parallel to the bar, is even more challenging than a basic ring support. Any movement in the hips hugely increases the instability. It's like a slackline that fights back.

If there's a circus or aerials school near you, check it out. It was a good reality check for me!

Tanya Hill

Hi Nicholas, 

First time I did Trapeze was last year. After training GST for over 7 years I was able to jump on the trapeze and have some fun. Swinging from the knees and the ankles was so fun. I took classes in NYC the outside location by the Hudson river. Would definitely go daily if I lived close. Trapeze and GST are such a great combo since GST teaches you so much body awareness. ;)