Hey guys
literally just installed my stallbars and this is my first ever attempt at this mobility exercise . I have no clue what I'm doing lol . I've read other posts but any help specific to my form here much appreciated
many thanks as always
leigh
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Leigh Kettle, July 9, 2017 · 11 Replies · 175 Views
Hey guys
literally just installed my stallbars and this is my first ever attempt at this mobility exercise . I have no clue what I'm doing lol . I've read other posts but any help specific to my form here much appreciated
many thanks as always
leigh
Great setup Leigh
Nice first attempt here. Keep working on leaning further into the Stretch. As your strength and mobility improves, start walking further up the rungs of the wall bar.
Looking forward to see your progress on these ![]()
@Leigh Kettle try to maintain an APT as best as you can even though this is an inverted pike pull. As you get deeper and deeper into it having the APT will prevent excessive rounding of the lower back which could easily get strained by this exercise (as I got to learn the hard way
).
@Leigh Kettle @John Kiggundu The rounding of the lower back and compression of the body is the point of this loaded stretch. If anything maintaining APT (anterior pelvic tilt), is counter productive to the goal of the stretch. If anything maintaining PPT (posterior pelvic tilt), would be more appropriate. As Pauline mentioned, you can progressively overload the stretch by changing the leverage.
I though it was mainly targeting the lower posterior (hamstrings in particular) so PPT would be the opposite of what you would want. you might not necessarily need to try maintain the feeling of APT as you bend forward but it certainly would be a good long term goal for the movement if you really want to maximize you pike compression. Otherwise you might end up overstretching your lower back and injuring yourself as most people I have trained with have done when attempting similar stretches. It really depends on what is restricting you though. Usually it is the hamstrings that restrict peoples pike compression.
Ok quite confused now ....
14 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:Great setup Leigh
![]()
Nice first attempt here. Keep working on leaning further into the Stretch. As your strength and mobility improves, start walking further up the rungs of the wall bar.
Looking forward to see your progress on these
Thanks Pauline just little confused as to correct pelvic tilt required - see above
Leigh for now just do it with straight legs and get as compressed as you can. let you pelvis do its thing naturally.
Hi Leigh,
Keep doing these with a ppt. When stretching the hamstrings more specifically like in the Stretch series you can focus on apt in order to increase the Stretch in the hamstrings. However in order to maximize compression you will need a ppt. This is a pHS progression and you are not in apt when doing a pHS.
1 hour ago, Pauline Taube said:Hi Leigh,
Keep doing these with a ppt. When stretching the hamstrings more specifically like in the Stretch series you can focus on apt in order to increase the Stretch in the hamstrings. However in order to maximize compression you will need a ppt. This is a pHS progression and you are not in apt when doing a pHS.
Makes sense Pauline. So treating as I would the Jefferson curl in terms of trying to keep ppt as much as possible through the ascent and descent
Hey guys
here is an updated form check a couple more weeks in
is this progressing in the right direction?
any pointers to consider ?
many thanks
Nice progress, Leigh ![]()
Your compression is coming nicely along, keep up the good work!