Drop in performance during FL

Started by Amebix138, March 5, 2010 · 3 Replies · 2,352 Views

Amebix138

Hi everyone,

Today I experienced a decline in FL perfomance and I dont know why. Last workout everything seemed fine and I semeed to have made good progress. The only thing thats different that I can think of is that I realized my second counts were too fast so I slowed them down by the 4th set of 6, but was still able to extend further on those sets then I could today. My percieved level of exertion was also higher today whereas I was struggling hard to stay horizontal by the 7th second even with a tighter tuck. I started training the FL on december 2nd and have been training it 3x a week since without fail. I train it statically ATM. Another thing that may have effected it was that I went from training the BL before FL to pavels pull up ladders after FL. My progress on the ladders is more or less the same as when I started it two weeks ago, I've maybe improved by 1 rep. Maybe I just need a break? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,

Amebix

Joshua Naterman

Reduce frequency. I'm starting to get a very solid straddle again, and I'm training FL once a week. Now, part of the reason for that is my size, but still... 2x a week is PLENTY, and one of those days should be easier than the other. It seems weird and uncomfortable, because you'll feel like you should be doing more, but you will find yourself making faster progress. You're just over-reaching a little, so reduce down to 1x a week for that for the next week or two and eat/sleep a little more than usual if you can. You'll take another step forward in a week or two, I think. Remember, only once in the next7 days, and only once after that for 7 more! You'll be happy with the results.

Amebix138

Well Slizzardman, I took your advice and only did 2 workouts in two weeks, easy ones with 1 or 2 sets in a tuck and now I'm trying to extend out again and I've pretty much lost all the progress I made earlier. Im not blaming you, obviously. What I'm not sure of is if its normal for me to have lost progress or if the fact that I have means I'm still in a state of over-reaching?

Joshua Naterman

Do you feel like you're bursting with energy? That's what you should feel like. If you take a few days and really concentrating on eating well, getting plenty of protein, carbs, and good fats, along with lots of water, you should feel like a beast! It's important to feel that energy. If you don't, it means your body is trying to heal or grow, and you should probably take an extra day of rest along with continued high intake of food!

Make sure you're warming up well, and you should have better workouts coming up. Often what happens is that you'll take two steps forward and one step back. When you first try extending out, it may not go well, but you should catch back up to your previous level pretty quickly, within a few weeks at the most, and be able to go a good bit beyond before you have to lay off a little again. It's a cycle we all end up dealing with, I think. I'm sorry your gains aren't coming back as quickly as we would all like to see! Please keep me informed as to how things are going.