This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bridge push-up progressions

Started by Lucy Criddle, July 9, 2017 · 10 Replies · 233 Views

Lucy Criddle

Hello all,

Has anyone had issues with upper arm/shoulder strength to push up into a bridge, and what progressions to use? I have bought the bridge series, so want to follow the feet-raised bridge exercises (as opposed to feet being on the floor). However I don't have the arm strength to push up! My back and arms overhead mobility is not bad, and I can push up from feet being on the floor ... just not with feet raised e.g. on sofa or the bed (I don't have access to stall-bars).

Would appreciate any advice or tips! Thanks in advance.

Pauline Taube

Hi Lucy,

You can push yourself into the bridge by keeping your feet on the lower rungs of the stall bar and once in the right position climb further up with your feet. Over time the strength in your shoulders will increase and you will be able to push right into the elevated bridge :) 

Feel free to submit a form check! 

Tanya Hill

Hi Lucy, 

Pauline is right definitely send us over a video for review. The purpose of feet elevated is to take the pressure out of the lower back and isolate the shoulders. With your feet high you are able to push your shoulders to open with out putting any pressure on the lower back. 

The sofa may be a bit to high, stack a few books to start. 

Lucy Criddle

Hi Tanya & Pauline

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't click the reply notifications button.

I've got access to stall bars now, so will send through a form check next week (did the bridge session today, but just saw this message now).

Thanks!

Lucy Criddle

Hi @Tanya Hill and @Pauline Taube

Finally I have means to video, although this one is really not great but it was the only place which had space to video as well (aka the gym corridor - this is NOT where I do the proper workout, just for a form check).

 

 

I hope you can see the image here as it was quite dark. I filmed this after doing the bridge series session. As mentioned in my workout notes, I've not progressed to the pushups or hip taps yet as I'm still building strength - I'd like to have enough to push up into the elevated bridge from the start first ... but would love to hear your suggestions!!

Thanks :-)

 

Alessandro Mainente

This is so nice, it is time to lock out your knees! nothing to add!

Tanya Hill

Hi Lucy, 

Looking great my friend. I agree wtih Alessandro, nothing much to add just work on straightening the knees. ;)

Luke Searra

Looking solid Lucy

Lucy Criddle

Wow amazing, thank you guys!  

This really means a lot as I was feeling a bit rubbish that I'm still struggling with the strength aspect, and always dread this one of the stretch series.

I will continue now with focusing on the legs straightening too!

One question: Should I still keep working to do the elevated bridges with feet higher up on the stall bars, or keep them lower? I don't mind either way as up = strength work but maybe lower is better for flexibility???  I shall heed whatever wise words you say :-)

Luke Searra

Little by little your ultimate goal Lucy, is to be able to get your feet on the floor with straight knees and into a Thoracic Bridge. If its becoming too easy at your current height with straight knees, progressively move down rung by rung until you hit the floor with perfect form.

Lucy Criddle
2 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

Little by little your ultimate goal Lucy, is to be able to get your feet on the floor with straight knees and into a Thoracic Bridge. If its becoming too easy at your current height with straight knees, progressively move down rung by rung until you hit the floor with perfect form.

Great, thanks Luke. I guess this video tripod will be getting used quite a bit from now on then. Will work on the knees and form, then send another form check when I *think* I have it, and y'all can decide. It might be a while though!