This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL PE1 + iM

Started by Brian Sparks, July 8, 2017 · 11 Replies · 163 Views

Brian Sparks

Thank you for any feedback on both components!

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Brian Sparks,

For your bent body hollow hold, try to pull your feet/heels a bit closer to your butt and try to lift your upper bod a bit higher. For your mobility, try to go a bit slower and also make sure your feet is flat on the floor. I hope this helps. Keep working on it.

Brian Sparks

Thank you!

Brian Sparks

Hi @Leo Trinidad,

Thought I'd check back in and see if you could evaluate my hollow body hold again. Thanks!

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Brian Sparks,

Good job. Keep up the good work. As for your bent body hollow hold, always strive to be consistent. :)

Brian Sparks

@Leo Trinidad Thought I'd get a spot check in couple months later. I'm posting this video being unsure about maintaining the correct form. If you watch around the 35" mark, you can see where light penetrates under  my lumbar spine. My memory is that I didn't experience much difference really while performing the hold at that moment... just food for thought and curious about your take on it. Thanks as always!

 

Mikey Cunanan
1 hour ago, Brian Sparks said:

@Leo Trinidad Thought I'd get a spot check in couple months later. I'm posting this video being unsure about maintaining the correct form. If you watch around the 35" mark, you can see where light penetrates under  my lumbar spine. My memory is that I didn't experience much difference really while performing the hold at that moment... just food for thought and curious about your take on it. Thanks as always!

 

@Brian Sparks

This brings light to something that Coach Sommer says on a regular bases. Something along the lines of...

"Press your lower back so that no sunshine can peak through" ha ha.

Anyways this is a sign of insufficient pot, which I believe is because you are curling too much with the neck and shoulders.

When performing hollow body holds, your head should be looking to the ceiling rather than your knees. From there, imagine pressing your lower abs through your spine to the floor underneah you.

Yu will notice an interesting sensation of your lower abs fighting to keep your pelvis in proper position and alignment.

Hope these tips help make this position more successful for you.

Brian Sparks

Thanks @Mikey Cunanan! Those are very helpful cues; will effect them next chance I get. Also will definitely use the same video angle to ensure 'total darkness' lol. Cheers

Brian Sparks

@Mikey Cunanan hopefully this is an improvement? Thanks again for any feedback!

 

Mikey Cunanan

@Brian Sparks

Ppt looks much better. I'm noticing that your shoulders begin to curl forward, especially towards the end of your set. This is a sign that you are curling too much through your thoracic spine.

Instead of curling your spine into hollow body, imagine lifting upwards towards the ceiling. It should feel more like a lifting motion rather than a curling one.

If in proper position, you will be gazing upwards at the ceiling. 

That should do the trick.

Brian Sparks

@Mikey Cunanan

Wow, that was an enlightening workout. Focused really hard on only 'lifting' my spine; this made a world of difference! This has been such a great process, discovering opportunities for growth. Definitely "stepped down" on the workout difficulty and I, oddly, couldn't be more pleased.

Why? This is exactly the deficit I had a vague feeling was imbalanced from years of desk-sitting (studying, working) and exacerbated in my prior training, including Crossfit, which tended to ignore/foresake the strength chain between the thoracic-lumbar spine in lieu of the shoulders and legs. I am sure it was a major contributor to my lower back stiffness.

I hope and feel that this shows more proper form. I'm genuinely appreciative of your help guiding me through the minutiae on this one!

 

Mikey Cunanan
1 hour ago, Brian Sparks said:

@Mikey Cunanan

Wow, that was an enlightening workout. Focused really hard on only 'lifting' my spine; this made a world of difference! This has been such a great process, discovering opportunities for growth. Definitely "stepped down" on the workout difficulty and I, oddly, couldn't be more pleased.

Why? This is exactly the deficit I had a vague feeling was imbalanced from years of desk-sitting (studying, working) and exacerbated in my prior training, including Crossfit, which tended to ignore/foresake the strength chain between the thoracic-lumbar spine in lieu of the shoulders and legs. I am sure it was a major contributor to my lower back stiffness.

I hope and feel that this shows more proper form. I'm genuinely appreciative of your help guiding me through the minutiae on this one!

 

Brian,

Way to go! Very nice improvement! Your form looks great so it's well worth scaling back. You will improve much faster this way.

I'm just happy to be able to help. Keep training mindfully and I'm sure you'll be sharing some awesome progress in the near future.