This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Feeling fragile

Started by Tomas Johansson, July 7, 2017 · 16 Replies · 458 Views

Tomas Johansson

I'm 46 and I have been on these programs for a few years, sometimes more sometimes a bit less.

The foundation series has given me slow but steady progress in strength recently, the key for me for this has been to master each step in every progression in a steady state manner, for instance 5*9 would be hard/failed week 1, ok/hard week 2 and easy/ok week 3 and only then I move on.

Through handstand 1 and the stretch series I have become MUCH more flexible in most areas but have long way still to go.

The problem is this, I still feel very fragile and I suppose it might come from stiffness in the lower back and hips and also because of mostly static training. (Besides gst i climb, surf and snowboard in the winter.)

I don't know if I know the words for what I'm looking for but I would like to feel agile, resilient and, well, bulletproof.

I would like to more dynamic and less afraid to hurt myself snowboarding or surfing.

I hope you understand what I am saying.

What would you suggest for me? What is the Movement program about for instance? What else can I do to become a few decades younger?

Matthias Schwartz

Hi Tomas,

I don't know if I have an answer for you but I can relate a bit. I am 48. I think the GST exercises, especially the core training and hip/knee/shoulder mobility are valuable in injury prevention and prehab. However I think a dynamic element is lacking in the early stages. That's not the fault of the program of course, but it means we need to do some sport-specific supplementation. The movements strengthen the joints but I don't think they prepare them adequately for the impact, speed, and unpredictability of sports, especially at my age. I've had to do some sport-specific training for that. I jump rope, do some running, do air squats and hindu squats for moderate reps to prepare. I also try to run around after my kids a bit as part of making training and normal movements as part of life. For surfing, the best training if you can't go out and surf is to do interval training sprints in the pool. Swim fast and hard, once your body is worked up to that. For snowboarding, I'm not sure what to say except to train your legs similar to what I mentioned above. You need to train some impact into your workout. Box jumps maybe (non-rebounding though). I found that pistols were great for my surfing and kitesurfing, and they would probably be great for snowboarding. I used to be able to about 5 pistols in a row on each leg and found that they imparted some great springy strength and knee balance/stability in weird positions (eg. weight mostly on one leg while in a deep squat hitting the lip). The pistol transferred great from training to dynamic sports, probably because of the extreme depth and the balance aspect. I also used to do lots of kettlebell snatches and found that the ballistic nature of the movement had great shoulder, elbow, and low back benefits. I think the repeated moderate impact on the joints helped toughen them up. Many have reported the same benefit. I rarely did them when I got into Crossfit, but I think I need to re-incorporate them because I never felt better than when I was doing snatches and pistols regularly. These exercises need to be worked up to of course, but I think some of them can supplement your Foundation work. That's just what worked for me though.

The other thing that helps is to eat clean. Basically a minimal sugar diet. Sugar seems to make for cranky joints, so the less I eat the better I feel. I hope some of this helps!

Everett Carroll

Hi Tomas,

More time and consistency combined are the biggest factors. Also, like Matthias mentioned, a healthy diet is going to support your activities and training, so looking into Thrive is another idea. Keep in mind that when you see studs like @Mats Trane pulling off incredible athletic feats, they have likely put in more than a few years of GST and have remained very consistent. My best advice is to diligently and meticulously work through the progressions, keeping as consistent as possible. 

Ryan Bailey
8 hours ago, Tomas Johansson said:

I would like to feel agile, resilient and, well, bulletproof.

Hi Tomas,

I can subjectively say by adding in a cardiolike sport that includes springy motions and bounce, has improved my feeling of being more agile.

For me, the addition has been jump rope training consistantly.

This has given me a mental rush in the last few months... a different buzz of movement and fluidity about the day that is hard to describe.

Tomas Johansson

Thanks, great replies from all of you!

What I will start with is jump rope and maybe some easy tumbling and box jumps just to get started moving more and see what happens.

Jonas Berglund

Hej Tomas! 

I can relate to your situation. 

I started GST on the same time as i got My first kid. Sleep quality got alot worse. Leading to bad recovery and pains here and there. I Never felt like made of glass before in My life but bad sleepquality seem to have that effect. As soon as I get one quality night of sleep( they are here and there), its like i can touch on the recovery starting. 

For a while i have(and Will) stick to F1(+stretching) one time per week, doing more is to much in My current situation. When the quality of sleep is back, ill include more weekly sessions.

Nutrition and sleep goes abit hand in hand, My first advice is to look over your sleep.  And obv also the intensity of your Training.

great advice from everyone here, the one from @Ryan Bailey is next-up on my Must try out. Ryan, any advice for a beginner doing jump Rope? Do you follow a structured workout plan or how do you schedule the jump Rope into your GST-Training? 

Ryan Bailey
5 hours ago, Jonas Berglund said:

great advice from everyone here, the one from @Ryan Bailey is next-up on my Must try out. Ryan, any advice for a beginner doing jump Rope? Do you follow a structured workout plan or how do you schedule the jump Rope into your GST-Training? 

Hi Jonas,

I would seek advice from @Darin Phoenix , @Winter Phoenix, and @Coach Sommer for specific jump rope or cardio integration for GST.

For me, I started slow with specific goals over a period of months.

I wanted:

- jumping to feel light and efficient,

- a set amount of revolutions over a 10-25 minute session,

- learn basic skills inorder to add tricks at a later date,

- a baseline endurance that would fit nicely around my foundation training.

I completed that goal over a 4-5 months time frame with the number 1 priority of having fun, feeling no soreness, lose no mobility, and enjoy some music during it.

Now I have a structured jump rope plan that I created for myself consiting of past maintenaince foundation elements (ie... PPP, Hinge Rows, Hollow body rocks ect + mobilities), interwoven with interval style training, around the day's Foundation session.

Too much fun, a mental release, and a lot of enjoyment!

 

Jonas Berglund

Much Appreciated Ryan!

Winter Phoenix

Hi Guys @Tomas Johansson @Jonas Berglund @Ryan Bailey

I thought I would jump in here "no pun intended" on this thread being a lover of JUMP ROPE! Thanks, Ryan for the mention jump rope has certainly gained me a level of athleticism as well as major benefits of cardiovascular health along with improved levels of coordination I could continue on but will stop here! But what I will say is soon to be released is a GymnasticBodies Jump Rope Course that we have been working on which will take you all from a beginner to advanced jump rope skills.

I started this type of training in my late 30's and are now 40 turning 41 very soon so it's never too late to pick up a rope and start jumping. 

Jonas Berglund

Thank you for your time guys. This sounds really intressting @Winter Phoenix.

While waiting for this course, what type of jump Rope Would you recommend? is it something else we need, Shoes? 

Darin Phoenix

I am obviously a big fan of jump rope as well. I actually had never even picked up a rope until I was in my 40's and was so bad to begin with.

As @Ryan Bailey stated there is a real metal rush about this type of training. I find it has a lot of similarities to my GST training in that I am constantly trying to figure out how to correctly perform a move or sequence and there is always something more to learn or refine. Another aspect that I really enjoy is moving with speed I find that performing some of the explosive jump rope tricks has really helped me feel more athletic. Like all types of training, it is definitely a good idea to start slow and prepare your muscles and joints for more dynamic movement.

Petra Kmecová
5 hours ago, Winter Phoenix said:

But what I will say is soon to be released is a GymnasticBodies Jump Rope Course that we have been working on which will take you all from a beginner to advanced jump rope skills.

So looking forward to this!!!! I use jump rope as a warm up or sort of a "finisher", but nothing structured ... i just turn on some energetic song and jump jump jump :-)) 

Christopher Denzer

@Ryan Baileycan you detail the structured jump rope plan that I created for yourself? I'd like to do something similar!

Ryan Bailey
13 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

@Ryan Baileycan you detail the structured jump rope plan that I created for yourself? I'd like to do something similar!

Sure, I am new at this, but basically I've tried:

1) Jump rope only

30s, or 1-3 min sets with the needed rests (usually 10s or 30-60s) (Anywhere from 10-25 minutes)

2) Then jump rope as addition to warm up on Foundation days: Simply alternating a set of jump rope with GST elements

30s on(jumping), then transition to 30s previous PE (say push up)

30s on(jumping), then transition to 30s previous iM of the PE (say Xiaoping's (sorry I don't know how to spell this)

I continue this cycle  for the other previous elements needed to be warmed up for the specific Foundation training (Usually 10-15 minutes lighter intensity but good enough to have a good sweat on, ready to train).

I am really new at this, so after trying all kinds of moves for fun, I find myself almost always doing just basic jump, boxer, and running or alternating feet. I am trying to make these basic moves easier and efficient as it makes skipping more fun...

I just do not have any Ninja moves like Darin or Winter.

 

 

 

 

 

Christopher Denzer

Good stuff! Thanks for the reply.

Jon Douglas

Tumbling and swings :)

Basic strength and mobility is pretty much to get you ready for dynamic work. Adding some application of the strength you are building a couple times a week will shake off the cobwebs (which I also get when i am limited to only controlled -tempo strength training).

Jump rope is great and can obviously get quite complex and fast for the whole body.

Mats Trane

Two words, patience and consistency is key even though the patience part can be really hard sometimes:)