This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hurdler Stretch Question

Started by Chandler Burgess, July 6, 2017 · 6 Replies · 198 Views

Chandler Burgess

Hi all,

I just finished my second week of the front split routine (Coach Sommer doesn't mention the uncontrollable bouts of cussing directed towards him while transitioning stretches). Most of the positions I can get into or modify without trouble but I'm having trouble with the two hurdler positions. I feel massive amounts of pressure in the knee of my bent leg that is very uncomfortable. It also feels like my damn legs are so big (they're not) that I'm leaning to the side which makes the stretch feel even harder. I have trouble getting my chest over my leg and feel like I have to pull myself laterally to get into position. From the brief searching I've done they tell you to not do bent behind leg hurdler at all, so I haven't found a good way to modify this stretch. Any advice?

Luke Searra

Chandler,
 Get some yoga blocks under the tender knee, and elevate it. You can use one, two, or three blocks until the tenderness disappears and you can hold the stretch with good form and no pain. The front leg in the beginning you might have to bend but you absolutely should aim for completely a completely straight leg to get into the proper position for the hurdler stretch. Let us know if this works or doesn't work for you and we will help you re-tweak the stretch.

Chandler Burgess

Thanks. I ordered another set of blocks. Sounds like I might need to sit on one too, on the straight leg side. I'll see how those work out next week. 

Pauline Taube

Let us know how you go, Chandler. Feel free to submit a form check of these :) 

We are looking forward to see your upcoming flexibility gains :) 

Matthias Schwartz

Chandler, if you are feeling pressure on the bent knee, you don't want to elevate that knee, but rather, want to lower it relative to your other leg. Definitely get a pillow or blocks to sit on to elevate your hips to relieve pressure on that knee. This is a stretch mainly for the straight leg, so you are shooting for feeling nothing in the bent leg. Any pressure you feel in that knee is on the ligaments and is undesirable. Once you get flexible enough, your hips will relax enough to allow your bent leg to rotate out enough to avoid any knee tension, but until that day, for sure, be nice to your knee and keep the lateral tension off of it.

Jennifer Marie

I started about a month ago, and I've been tucking a block under the hip of the straight leg for narrow hurdler. Otherwise, it stays wide hurdler or I tip sideways. The block does help a lot. I know exactly what you mean by feeling like your legs are huge with the bent leg. When I do a tuck, I feel like my legs are too thick to get my butt to my knees, but if someone presses my hips down, I can get there. I'm sure it'll come with practice and dedication.

Tyler Smith

Chandler--how did you make out with the suggestions from this thread? I have the very same issue that you had and am searching for help. I can't help falling over to the side of the straight leg. Also, having some mad pressure in my bent knee.

Additionally, on the stretch where the bent need is pulled back to a 90 at the side rather than in front, my hips don't allow for it, especially when my left leg is bent. Pushes me straight over to my right side.