This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weights for Mastery on weighted stretches.

Started by Jonas Berglund, July 6, 2017 · 13 Replies · 361 Views

Jonas Berglund

Hey Everyone. I cant find what weights to work up to,for

mastery in the weighted exercises. 

Would be beautiful if you could fill in the Numbers:

stiff legged windmill: ?

russian twist: ?

Jefferson curl: ?

Feel free to write in Mastery Numbers on later stage F1-exercises aswell. Would be great if we could cover all the Mastery weigths in one/this topic (for all the weighted exercises)

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jonas, follows the suggestion:

-Jefferson Curl: 50% of the BW, for the long term goal the 100% of the BW

-russian twist 2-3 kg, but the range of motion and technical execution it is more important than the weight

-stiff leg windmill: the range of motion it is more important than the weight

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Alessandro,

What about the handstands mobility (overhead, extension, dislocates...) and HBP PE2 (push-ups) mobility? I read that a 5kg (or more.. I saw 10-12kg!) for xiaopeng should be for mastery.

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Etienne,

2kg is the minimum for Xiaopeng mastery. Just like windmills, form is more important than weight. 

Jonas Berglund

Thank you guys,, im usually Training outside so most often weighted stretches are Done with Stones. However, closing in on Mastery i want to make sure i can handle the right weight, about time to Buy some light dumbells.

Jon Douglas

That 10-12kg xiaopeng figure is taken from Coach's observations of one of the top tier of elite gymnasts and was used to make a point. Personally I catch my ROM getting a touch shorter when I try to jump from 3 to 4kg :o

Alessandro Mainente

Personally, I reached the 12 kg xiaopengs in a couple of year, the more you become flexible the better you feel the xiaopengs.

Benjamin Nutt

I'm aiming for .1*bodyweight for upper body weighted mobility and .25*BW for lower body, as a starting point. Dunno how in line that is with everyone else, but I like having something specific for which to aim.  

Are those goals reasonable, or am I stupid?

Everett Carroll

Hey Benjamin,

I like the idea, since BW is a very good way to set a specific and personalized rec. or goal. However, .1*kg/bw might be too low for some upper iM's. Also, for mobilities like J. Curl, .25 would be too low since the end goal is BW.

Benjamin Nutt
26 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Benjamin,

I like the idea, since BW is a very good way to set a specific and personalized rec. or goal. However, .1*kg/bw might be too low for some upper iM's. Also, for mobilities like J. Curl, .25 would be too low since the end goal is BW.

Should have clarified that I meant those as minimums; long term goals are as described. 1*BW J-Curl, .5*BW dislocates, etc.

Étienne Lajeunesse
5 hours ago, Benjamin Nutt said:

Should have clarified that I meant those as minimums; long term goals are as described. 1*BW J-Curl, .5*BW dislocates, etc.

By .5*BW dislocates, do you mean half your bodyweight?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
36 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

By .5*BW dislocates, do you mean half your bodyweight?

For weighted dislocates. As stated in another portion of the web forum (IE: Handstand sections). Upto 20kg(about 44lb) is what Coach Sommer recommends.

Benjamin Nutt
4 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

By .5*BW dislocates, do you mean half your bodyweight?

Yep. That's my long-term goal. Got a loooooong way to go!

Étienne Lajeunesse
8 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

For weighted dislocates. As stated in another portion of the web forum (IE: Handstand sections). Upto 20kg(about 44lb) is what Coach Sommer recommends.

 

4 hours ago, Benjamin Nutt said:

Yep. That's my long-term goal. Got a loooooong way to go!

Wow! I didn't know we can go so heavy on this! :)