This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

osteoporosis and GST

Started by Kate S, July 6, 2017 · 6 Replies · 123 Views

Kate S

Hello,

I have recently started GST (Foundation One and the Stretch Series) and am really enjoying it. But this week I was diagnosed with spinal osteoporosis (I am 56 and small in frame). I understand that exercises involving forward flexion of the spine are not recommended for people with osteoporosis -  if I avoid these though, this would prevent me from doing many of the GST exercises and much of the stretch routines also. Has anyone had experience of doing GST in the context of osteoporosis? If I keep APT during the forward bends would this decrease the loading on the spine enough to make them safer? 

Everett Carroll

Hi Kate,

I'm curious if others have experience with this as well. Keeping ATP during forward bending is recommended for everyone, so nice call there.  

Nicholas Murray

Hi Kate, if you've been diagnosed, 1. have you had advice from a physiotherapist or physical therapist on types of exercises you can and can't yet do? 2. Are you required to take supplements (calcium & vitamin D, from memory are the common ones) 3. have you had a bone density scan (to give you some idea about where you are starting from)?

Confirm this with a physio, but I recall from reading somewhere that moderate impact exercise (skipping, for example) is good as it gives the bones a stimulus to become stronger. I'm unsure how moderate impact exercise compares with simple weighted exercises, such as a farmer's walk (where you pick up two weights and do a couple of laps of the gym). Perhaps your physio can advise on where to start.

Ryan Bailey
On 7/5/2017 at 9:48 PM, Kate Scott said:

Hello,

I have recently started GST (Foundation One and the Stretch Series) and am really enjoying it. But this week I was diagnosed with spinal osteoporosis (I am 56 and small in frame). I understand that exercises involving forward flexion of the spine are not recommended for people with osteoporosis -  if I avoid these though, this would prevent me from doing many of the GST exercises and much of the stretch routines also. Has anyone had experience of doing GST in the context of osteoporosis? If I keep APT during the forward bends would this decrease the loading on the spine enough to make them safer? 

Hi Kate,

Most spines with a medical diagnosis will be given a "no flexion" recommendation, by most healthcare professionals.  Guess what happens once the untrained and unflexed spine is flexed during real life.... say, picking up the grandkid while sitting in a chair, bending down to pick up a shoe..... not good. 

However, with osteoporosis specifically, there is a risk of fracture with the specific type of bone on the front of the vertebrae with some flexion exercises, on some studies.  On the other hand, what is interesting, is those who do not exercise, at all, also have a high percentage of vertebral fracture.  So there is no clear answer, as every case is unique.  

Fear of movement, I find in my physical therapy practice, leads to a weakening of bone and muscle, with reduced flexibility.  Proper dosing of each, individual case, leads to good function and bone mineral density needs through safe loading of the spine, only with proper form and steady progression.

I think you are asking a great question as you are the perfect age to start getting a good handle on the situation.

 

 

Antonio Alías Montoya

In your case it s even more important perfect form, slow progress, better to do less than more in spine related exercises, apt when bending forward and core activation when working on bridge to don t stress the low back. Whenever you feel something wrong for your back stop inmediately, I wouldn t even go with discomfort until you learn yourself, but I d not stop training, that d probably be worse.

Pauline Taube

Hi Kate,

Thank you for reaching out.

I managed to completely reverse my osteopenia by training GST and also making sure my nutrition was on point. 

I agree with Nicolas, definitely get a bone density test if you haven't already. Supplement with calcium, vitamin D, k2, magnesium and glucosamine. This might help you. Depending on how severe your osteoporosis is, it might not be reversible but at least you can prevent it from getting worse. 

I also agree with Ryan, I think fear of movement is a big problem for many people with these diagnosis. As long as you're listening to your body and progress slowly I think GST can help you improve your health and quality of life :) 

Kate Scott

Thank you very much all of you for your helpful and encouraging replies. I have had a dexa scan so it was diagnosed via the scan, not via a fracture. It is definitely osteporosis, but not yet severe. I have never had a bone fracture and have always been fit and active, so it comes as a bit of a shock. I have been supplementing with calcium, vit D and K2 for a few years, but I had been wondering about adding in magnesium and boron (I live in New Zealand where the soils are deficient in boron). I had not thought of glucosamine but that it an interesting suggestion - thanks Pauline. I will also be upping the protein in my diet, as my diet may have been a bit low in animal protein and high in fibre (which can bind to minerals).

I plan to significantly increase my weight bearing exercise over time, and GST will be part of the package, but following the principles of GST I will make that increase slow and progressive so that I don't create other problems along the way. Even if GST does nothing else for me (and I think it will), the understanding it has given me so far of the need to take the long view and progress slowly and gently has been tremendously helpful. 

If I get positive results in a couple of years, I'll post and update!