This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front splits - psoas stretch

Started by Peter Ols, July 5, 2017 · 2 Replies · 107 Views

Peter Ols

Hi!

I'm new and very exited to start my new program. I have going through the programs to get to know the exercises and the stretch series seems advanced. I probably have to scale down on a couple of exercises because of poor flexibility.

I suppose there is much finesse in these programs and one thing that made me curious of the "why" is that there is no lounge stretch in the front splits program with straight leg for only psoas but all hipflexor stretches include quadriceps. (Bent back leg)

I guess it is like this for a reason , can somebody explain ?

Everett Carroll

Hi Peter,

Great question and welcome to GB!

Don't worry, scaling the stretches at first is completely normal for nearly all students. Use the tips and scaling options from the courses and feel free to post form check videos anytime you are unsure of your position. 

The answer to your question is simple: nearly everyone had incredibly tight quads when they begin GST and tight quads prevent a proper front split even if the hip flexors are flexible enough. The bent back leg keeps the two progressing together at an appropriate rate.

Peter Ols

Thanks for a very good answer Everett!

It seems logical and a good way to progress.