This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lower back clicks

Started by Anthony Del Balso, July 5, 2017 · 3 Replies · 67 Views

Anthony Del Balso

Good morning

In MN PE1 tuck ups, I have always had a lower lumbar vertebra that clicks when performing tuck ups, or supine leg lifts. In the tuck ups it happens on the way back down. I can avoid it in leg lifts by scaling the exercise by bending my legs (dying bug style). But I haven't figured out a way to do this in tuck ups without the clicking, and I have some concerns that it could be wearing on the joint.

What do you recommend for scaling this? 

One thing I am considering is trying it first for the core workout rather than last, as by the time I get to these exercises my abs are pretty shot. Does the order in which one performs the core exercises (FL, SL, MN) matter?

Thank you

Anthony

Tanya Hill

Hi Anthony, 

Something like this I would definitely check with your physio. One thing to consider is never work through pain, if is is painful in any way do not push through. 

I would also recommend working through the Front Splits course and see if gaining mobility helps to eleviate the click. 

 

Anthony Del Balso

Thanks Tanya,

It usually hasn't been painful at all, though it was a bit today. Yesterday I did a LOT of stuff which stressed my core...could have contributed. 

I am working on front and middle splits. Getting at them consistently has been tough....though I am starting to feel some progress on the front stretch series. 

 

Matthias Schwartz

Hi Anthony, I can't speak to your condition, but if doing this doesn't cause you pain you can probably proceed. If it is painful or eventually becomes painful then of course stop. However, I have had this kind of click since I was about 25 years old and I'm now 48. I have had no problems just working through it all these years. The best thing to help it is a strong, stable, tight core coupled with improving your flexibility. Also google on "hip reset" or "pubis symphisis reset" as that has helped me, or at least feels good. I also do a lot of myofascial release per Kelly Starrett's book to target any tight spots in my hips.

Your condition is your own, but as for me, I've been evaluated by physios and MDs with no real help. They just say I may be tight in my right Iliacus or have scar tissue in my hip that's tugging on my spine a bit. But they basically wave their hands and say they don't know for sure what's causing it. But in the end, it's a bit uncomfortable to deal with 75 clicks when doing 5 sets of 15, but ultimately, it's not painful and doesn't make it worse. So get/keep your core strong, do some myfascial therapy, and work the hip flexibility as you have been and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Matt