This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Reconditioning connective tissue

Started by Christopher Hancox, July 5, 2017 · 11 Replies · 281 Views

Christopher Hancox

Hi,

I've been on F1, H1 and all three stretch series for around 3months now but have not seen any noticeable progress. There are good days and bad days but no consistent increases in flexibility. I have recently been paying close attention to the 3-4 out of 10 for intensity so as not to overstretch, but it seems still with no consistent measurable improvement.

Coach mentions in the front split series that reconditioning of the connective tissue can take "6months, preferably a year". Is this why I am not seeing any progress yet? Is the connective tissue is still getting used to the regular stretching at this 3-4month stage. 

Really want to make some progress in this area as I am truly built out of stone, but I also want to understand why there is no progression yet.

Thanks.

 

 

Mark Birbeck

Hi Christopher,

It's probably obvious that I'm not a coach or anything, so please take the following as being from one 'who is built of stone', to another. ;) 

I have found progressions to actually be quite quick...much quicker than I had expected. I'm not saying that I can now do splits or a bridge--there's a long way to go yet!--but I'm finding that I really notice the millimetres each week. I'll be doing a pancake in the middle split series, and suddenly I'll think 'damn, my feet are definitely closer than they were last week'. Or I'll be on my back in the supine trap stretch, and I find that my toes are suddenly touching the floor.

The progress may be slow, but I'd say it's definitely possible for it to be steady.

I've seen in various places--I think Coach says it in some of the stretch videos--that the key with stretching is to learn to distinguish 'pain' (which you want to avoid) from 'discomfort' (which is unavoidable if you are going to make progress). So the question to ask yourself is whether you really are doing "3-4 out of 10", or whether actually you're doing more like 1 or 2?

Provided you get into the movements properly, don't bounce, and only do each of the routines once a week as advised, then I'd have thought you are unlikely to 'overstretch'.

So just relax, take a few deep breaths, focus on where the discomfort is (which is also how you get to know if you're doing the stretch properly), and then see whether you can push that discomfort just a little further.

It doesn't have to be *lot* further each time...but I'd suggest that if you're not confronting that discomfort head on then it will be difficult to move forwards.

That's my experience...but as I say, I'm no coach so you have to see how it works for you!

Best of luck,

Mark

Leo Trinidad

well said @Mark Birbeck. :)

Hi @Christopher Hancox,


Sometimes, progress can be measured by if the stretch or exercise is executed easier than before even though you have not noticed any significant change in the ROM. Mobility really takes time and from experience, getting new ROM is easy. The harder part is making it permanent and consistent.

Christopher Hancox

Thanks for the replies guys. Mark, nice to hear of someone's progress from stone. Hopefully I'll be on my way soon. Maybe I'll play around with the intensity a bit more to see if I can make some headway. I think my initial problem was going too intense with the stretches. I'll go a month at my idea of 3-4 and if it goes nowhere I'll slowly start increasing. 

Out of interest, what is the 6month to a year connective tissue reconditioning Coach is talking about?

 

Everett Carroll
3 hours ago, Christopher Hancox said:

Out of interest, what is the 6month to a year connective tissue reconditioning Coach is talking about?

 

He is just referring to the recycling rates of the tissue. Muscle is roughly 90-days and connective tissue about 210, on average. His main point is that rather than focusing on muscular recovery, a better long-term mindset is to instead focus on connective tissue. This will help prevent injury and allow the body the time it needs to solidify gains. 

Igor De Britto
4 hours ago, Christopher Hancox said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Mark, nice to hear of someone's progress from stone. Hopefully I'll be on my way soon. Maybe I'll play around with the intensity a bit more to see if I can make some headway. I think my initial problem was going too intense with the stretches. I'll go a month at my idea of 3-4 and if it goes nowhere I'll slowly start increasing. 

Out of interest, what is the 6month to a year connective tissue reconditioning Coach is talking about?

 

For some more context, as you quoted Sommer's recording, remember he said Orench started working with him "some years back". If you compare Orench's and Kira's mobility, you can clearly see that there is plenty of progress for the big guy yet.

As Everett said, the hard part is to solidify. As someone who seems to go periodically through surgeries, I see both progress being lost during recovery and inconsistent increases within a given month. But always a bit of improvement when comparing month to month in the worst days.

Christopher Hancox

Okay thanks. That answers my question perfectly. I was aware of the difference in muscle and connective tissue recycling rates, just didn't want to miss something vital and continue pushing on blindly.

Cheers!!!

Christopher Hancox

Just been to see a physio about my lack of flexibility and slow progress in my middle and front stretch series. I have been told that it is down to nerve tightness or adhesions, originating in my lower back. Kind of makes sense as I have been recovering from nerve problems in my arms for the last 7month, this time originating from tightness in my upper back neck and chest.

Has anyone encountered this before or found anything that helped speed up recovery with this?

Ryan Bailey
On 7/5/2017 at 4:59 AM, Christopher Hancox said:

all three stretch series for around 3months now but have not seen any noticeable progress

Sometimes it takes 3-9 months just to develope the support strength needed to be able to even hold the positions for an effective stretch.

After this longer, consistant period, the body is confident throughout a stretch session... the body tends to melt, with less guarding, and change begins.

Christopher Hancox

Funny you should say that Ryan. I went through the front split routine today and things felt a little different. Still, the most tightness was felt in my calves and back of knees, but also some hamstring involved. First time for everything. Fingers crossed I can get the same or better next week.

Looking forward to some slow steady progress!

Christopher Hancox

Hi,

I have a question regarding some information my physio gave me this session. She said that some people just have tight neves and may never be able to get a full pike. I really can't believe that, as so many people on this forum are making progress with no mention of nerve tightness restricting them.

This leads me to the question; can nerves be lengthened like other connective tissue and muscle, or are they simply released from adhesions? 

Any answers/explanations would be greatly appreciated.

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Christopher,

I highly recommend to get a second opinion. In some cases it is possible to stretch and lengthening the nerves. The stretching do however includes some risks, and you should work closely with a specialist. It's impossible to give you any further recommendations behind a monitor. I would suggest to get a nerve test by a specialist in the area.