This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE2+iM

Started by Francisco Garcia, July 5, 2017 · 3 Replies · 72 Views

Francisco Garcia

I was hoping to get suggestions on this one.  My PE feels ok, but the iM, as usual for me, is impossible.  I can't get my arms to 90 degrees.  It doesn't really matter how wide my hands are.  I can have them extremely wide, or extremely narrow, and this is about as far as I go.  Am I missing something in my technique?  What should my shoulders be feeling?  Retraction, I assume, but neither elevation nor depression? 

Thanks!

 

Guido Franchetti

You are not that far! I think it's just a matter of sticking with it for some time.

I find it helpful to really strongly retract, as if pushing something behind you with your arms. It also helped me not elevating my shoulders. Maybe gentle pulses (sort of gentle ballistic) could help too, but it probably needs time rather than anything else. My opinion of course!

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Francisco Garcia,

Nice way of entering and exiting your headstand. Make sure to squeeze your elbows in as this will help in the future in the other elements like HBP. As for your mobility, to get this really fast I suggest the Thoracic Bridge Stretch Course. It took me a year to get it to 90 degrees when I first started. Doing it requires a strong retraction and good shoulder mobility. A lot of mobility in Foundations can help too. (mobility in HBP, MN, FL) I hope this helps. :)

Francisco Garcia

Thanks @Leo Trinidad, that does help.  I was hoping it was a technique problem because technique is easier to fix than mobility!  I will be doing the thoracic bridge course more regularly

@Guido Franchetti thanks for your tips too.  I will try the pulses and also the passive stretches to help improve the mobility.