This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Russian dips progression

Started by Michael Batuk, July 3, 2017 · 16 Replies · 426 Views

Michael Batuk

Helo everyone

I've progressed to Russian dips and I hit he wall with them.Its pressing back to a full dip position Im struggling with.Have anyone experienced the same??I would appreciate a feedback.

Thank you.

#gst4life 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Michael, when someone hits a wall in an exercise it is a sign of lack of progression in the previous preparation steps. The foundation program has all the necessary steps in order to avoid these type of frustrating problems.

Petri Widsten

As Alessandro said. In addition to solid mastery of previous exercises you can scale the exercise with your knees on an elastic band. Get a range of bands of different widths. When you can do sets with the narrowest band you may be able to do singles unassisted with some momentum. Then you can work on reducing the momentum. 

 

 

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Michael Batuk,

As Alex said, you need to check if you have really mastered the previous progressions along with the coupled mobility. If you have doubts please send a video for form check.

Michael Batuk

Thank you guys,I will track back to previous progressions to find the weak link.

Tanya Hill

Sometimes going back a step opens more awareness. I highly recommend sending us over a video as Leo recommended. 

Michael Batuk

there is a footage of me performing Korean dips can you give me some feedback please?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Michael,

Nice job. At the beginning of your set you are doing a nice job of keeping your reps slow and controlled. As you get tired, you start to rely more on swing. Work on keeping an even, controlled pace throughout your set.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Generally speaking... from upper arm support to the bottom position of a dip... you need to pull your hands back in a manner similar to bicep curl. Scapula, retraction/protraction, shrugs are helpful here also.

Michael Batuk

Thanks Jeffrey I know what you mean .Will work on that.Thanks 

Christopher Denzer

Hi Forum:

Russian dips are hard for me too. It is the transition that is particularly difficult. Dropping back to forearm support is easy and pressing out of the dip is easy, but moving from the first to the second is super hard. I can crank one out with momentum, but that feels like kipping/cheating. Can anyone tell me exactly what muscles are being recruited during the transition? Korean dips weren't that hard, so I am kind of surprised at the shocking lack of strength I have in these. Although by now, after almost two years at this, one would think I'd stop being surprised at the personal suck. :facepalm:

Ryan Bailey
11 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Can anyone tell me exactly what muscles are being recruited during the transition? Korean dips weren't that hard, so I am kind of surprised at the shocking lack of strength I have in these

When I arrived to Russian Dips, they were not smooth. I lacked scapular depressor muscular strength combined with a lack of shoulder joint extension mobility. That is my evaluation and guess... so, I have moved back to bench dips with a new found intensity; Now focussing more on the scapular depression muscles and deeper shoulder extension mobility.

Is this the correct approach?

Btw- these dip progressions are insane! The trainers in the gym always comment on korean and russian dips... they usually progress weight on regular, shortened range dips, not progressions in skilled dip variations.

Petri Widsten
14 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Hi Forum:

Russian dips are hard for me too. It is the transition that is particularly difficult. Dropping back to forearm support is easy and pressing out of the dip is easy, but moving from the first to the second is super hard. I can crank one out with momentum, but that feels like kipping/cheating. Can anyone tell me exactly what muscles are being recruited during the transition? Korean dips weren't that hard, so I am kind of surprised at the shocking lack of strength I have in these. Although by now, after almost two years at this, one would think I'd stop being surprised at the personal suck. :facepalm:

Not an answer to your question (I'd also like to know it) but Russian dips should go to upper arm, not forearm support. Maybe you meant the same thing. On Youtube you see lots of easier "Russian" dips that are actually elbow/forearm dips.

I've gone back to training Russian dips with the aim of eliminating all leg movement (nearly there, I have to extend my legs to 45 degrees because the bars are too low). If anyone can provide a video of sloooow Russian dip transitions I'd like to see it for inspiration!

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Chris can I see your attempt please?

Christopher Denzer

Hi Alessandro:

Here it is. My parallel bars are low in this attempt, I am going to try and get them higher. 

 

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Chris,

The transition phase should finish in upper arm support, rather than forearm support. To allow your shoulders to complete this transition phase smoothly, you will need to perform your dips to full shoulder extension then to inside of upper arm. From there lean forward until you are back in a deep dip then push back to the top.

With that said, equilizers may not be the best piece of equipment to perform these on. There is not enough height for your body in addition to the instability. Ideally these should be performed with sturdy parallel bars or boxes.

 

Christopher Denzer

Hey fellas:

Oh . my god, I am a moron. I apologize to Russians everywhere. Mikey, thanks for the super fast feedback. You're dead on about the equalizers. I guess I am going to have to give it a shot with plyo boxes. :facepalm: