This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Schedule break question

Started by Paul Del Casino, July 2, 2017 · 6 Replies · 168 Views

Paul Del Casino

Scheduling has been the biggest problem with my GST consistency. My work schedule is random and there are only so many hours in the day, so there are days when I cannot complete the required training. Suffice to say I'm still looking for a way to adjust my personal schedule to make time for it as frequently as I'd like. In any case, there are occasionally times when a long-ish period of time goes by with no training. On the order of a week or two due to injury or traveling. If I'm out of town, I still try to do my personal stretch routine every day and when I can, the workouts that require no equipment, the mobility series, etc. 

My question is that if a week or two or three goes by and for some reason I can't/don't train, where do I pick up again? I've no doubt lost some strength/mobility/conditioning, so should I just work the same exercise I've been doing and report the worse results (too hard face or lower reps), or just automatically start a step back? I was thinking "just do the exercise that you're on and report the progress, even if it's negative", but recently I've been plateauing in a lot of areas and I feel like I need to go back further. My body is either overworked or I didn't master something I thought I did, or whatever.

It'd be great if there was a GST affiliate in my town to evaluate me fully, but there's not, so I need to figure it out on my own (and with some help on here).

Thanks.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Paul Del Casino,

I strongly suggest to restart especially if you are feeling off and doubt about your mastery in the previous exercises. You can always go back and start with step 9 to test on your mastery. If you are in doubt, you can send video for form check/video review. When you have an injury, you need to reassess where to begin with and not aggravate the injury. Best to consult with a medical professional. I hope this helps.

Paul Del Casino

Hi Leo,

Thanks, yeah I'm going to take your advice to go back to PE1 with each exercise and just work through the program as if I was starting new. I guess GST is somewhat user-specific in that you kind of have to figure out what you're capable of and what you're not regarding injury. For instance I have a R groin tear (gracilis muscle I think) and I can't do any straddle work at all. Even mild abduction of the leg causes pain and there's big bruise. However, I just did the front split series and that went fine. I think I'm just nervous about making something worse. 

Tanya Hill

Paul, 

I have started my courses over many times and honestly everytime I go back to the beginning I learn and feel something new. Never gets old! 

Sorry to hear about your possible gracillis tear. I would check with your physio to confirm thats the issue. Take lots of recovery in the mean time and jump into a ice bath if you can. :)

 

Paul Del Casino

Thanks. I just started Foundations over. Obviously some of the exercises towards the beginning are very easy. If I successfully test mastery the first time I try one of these easy exercises, should I wait until the next week to do the next exercise, or just progress until I can't master something in the same week?

Pauline Taube

Hi Paul,

I recommend to do the mastery twice to make sure that you really master the movements :) 

Tobias Karlsson

Hi Paul. 

I am not a coach so take my advice with a bunch of salt :P But If I understand you correctly you do have rather long breaks away from training. If you go back to PE1 after all of them you will not be getting far. According to the coach, your training sessions should be though but with proper form. Importantly, I also think that you should strive after getting to know your body better. So when you come back you should be able to make an educated guess and know approximately where you can start. 

Also if you workout very  unregularly, don´t schedule your work outs for Mon, wen and fri. Instead say that they are 1, 2 and 3 and do them in order. In that way you always get in a full circle even though it might take you longer. Also much more of the exercises can be done without equipment if required. 

 

Keep on working out smartly.