Handstands with Kyphosis

Started by Damien Walker, July 2, 2017 · 6 Replies · 4,542 Views

Damien Walker

Is it possible to execute a handstand for a long period of time with kyphosis? 

Is it harder because of it? 

I am working on it with bridges and some phsyio exercises though

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Damien, 

It is possible through corrective exercise, mobility drills, and specific body alignment practice. The Handstand One course is designed to address those areas and help anyone achieve a handstand. I highly recommend looking into that course as well as continuing to work with your physio.  

Tanya Hill

Hi Damien, 

I have a lumbar curvature that definitely has been a work in progress to reach that perfect handstand line. 

Daily I hang upside down on an inversion table. Just like Everett mentioned I also work many corrective exercises and have found the Handstand One course to be a huge help. 

Send us over a picture for further assistance. 

Jon Douglas

I also have a shape that makes achieving a straight line a long process of back-and-forth adjustment.

I may never end up with a perfectly straight line; it's not harder as such but it requires a conscientious eye. It is a process of videoing oneself, picking one thing to fix, say shoulder angle,  and methodically working out how it feels to have that one thing slightly improved in the next video.

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Yes you can do a handstand (freestanding or wall supported) with some excessive curvature in your upper back and or lower back.

Go to a chiropractor to have any excessive curvature in your spine gradually removed. Your spine is supposed to have some curvature, just not the excessive type. The job of a chiropractor is to make sure your spine is as straight as its supposed to be.

Alessandro Mainente

the ability and possibility to perform handstand with kyphosis depend on the type of kyphosis, it can be genetically defined and it regards the 3D structure of the vertebrae and in this case, there is no way to cure it and to perform a straight line handstand. if the kyphosis it is due to muscles imbalances it can be recovered in some years.

Tanya Hill

There is hope! Thank you Alex. ;)