Disclaimer: I am not saying saturated fats are bad for you, I am merely pointing out that there are reasons people have said this and suggesting caution.
slizzardman said:That's so true. If you look into it, the whole idea about saturated fats came from ONE SINGULAR STUDY in the 1950's, and that's what sparked the use of margarine and other fat replacements. There were several other studies during the same time period that had completely different results, and nearly all of the research from then until now has leaned heavily towards saturated fat not being a problem.On the other side of the fence, there are not high incidences of heart problems or strokes among native populations that have higher saturated fat intakes. This has been pretty well documented, and adds weight to the suggestion that artificially modified fats along with high levels of processed high glycemic carbohydrates are in fact the culprits behind most of the damage done by modern diets.
Reply:
dlsso said:slizzardman said:That's so true. If you look into it, the whole idea about saturated fats came from ONE SINGULAR STUDYAs I said before, if you want to discuss this more in depth it should be in a different thread. I'm not going to get into it any further in this thread, but here are just a handful of guys who might beg to differ with the "one singular study" claim:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12618280
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7644455
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9366580
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584044
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9021429
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7861873
Further response:
trianglechoke7 said:I looked at your first two references and I noticed a pattern emerging. You pick illegitimate studies.The first study only looked at the effect of different fats on cholesterol. However, this does not prove that saturated fats actually have an effect on mortality or instances of heart disease. You are merely ASSUMING that it does by the effect on blood lipids. Real proof will show a DIRECT link between mortality/heart disease and saturated fat intake.
The second study was on the seven countries study. The 7CS is pure baloney as the 7 countries were purposely picked to show a bad affect for saturated fats. Given the data that was available at the time, you could of picked 7 different studies and got the exact opposite result.
I never said I agreed with the studies. I was merely pointing out that the notion that a single flawed study was perpetuating the myth was nonsense. This is just a handful of dozens of such studies that have correlated saturated fats with increased risk of CVD. Whether or not all of them happened to be flawed is another thing entirely.