This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Two Stretch Questions Please :)

Started by Nigel Pengelly, July 2, 2017 · 1 Replies · 102 Views

Nigel Pengelly

lowerbackJune.thumb.JPG.80b09ebd984b00710e9ecfe9c36d44aa.JPG

595845ed36310_verticallunge.thumb.JPG.7f7b2ee7df90ab449c9a5a8b5f57ebc8.JPG

Hi Guys, I'm a new member (about 2 months) and have been working my way through Foundation series, plus handstands and also working on my stretching with middle stretch. I read the forums and love the step by step progressions and while I have made some nice improvements I used to do a lot of long distance triathlon and riding and my hip and lower back mobility is poor and doesn't seem to move. 

I have attached a couple of photos for you to comment on - one showing a maxed out vertical lunge position (screaming quads) and the other the limitation of bending forward with wide legs. Despite my hamstrings coming on noticeably through stretching, jefferson curl etc.) the lower back does not give at all. I can touch my toes easily, but this is through a rounding at the top of the spine rather than what I assume to correct and lowering myself through the lower back.

I suppose my question is, are there some specific daily lower back stretches i could be doing to help this and ensure it doesn't slow down the rest of the progress?

 

many thanks, Nigel

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Nigel,

Nice work! 

On the pancake progressions I recommend to elevate your butt as much as you need in order to get an apt.

I recommend to keep doing the daily limbering routine from the Fundamentals. I think the hamstring and hip mobility is causing your low back to feel tight. But you can add some reps of cat cow and seal Stretch/seal rocks to your daily limbering routine but make sure to stretch with less intensity than you would when doing the series :) 

I am looking forward to see more of your progress :)