This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A workout from all mastered progressions? Your thoughts?

Started by Suzanna McGee, June 30, 2017 · 9 Replies · 274 Views

Suzanna McGee

I was just browsing through all my old posts and looking at the exercises and videos. And got this idea… curious if any of you already do it, and if so, how? Or what do you think about it? 

There are so many great exercises that I don't do anymore because I progressed further. Maybe here and there I do them in the warm-up, but I don't have time for all of them. So I thought:

How about to create a full workout from all the past progressions? In some exercises (push-ups, pull-ups…) I am quite in the beginning, so it's going to be short, but in some I am far, so it's going to be a nice long set (for example PE1—PE10), so the work load will be kind of even. Of course, all the corresponding iMs will be there too. Is this a good idea? If so, how could I do it?  

1) Doing this "experiment" during my deload week? (I suspect it's not going to be much deload :-) )

2) I do F6 twice a week, Legs+H1/H2 twice a week… So it's pretty full already (plus all 3 stretches) to just add this thing on… Shall I do it (the regular) just once a week, and the second workout would be the "smorgasbord" of all the mastered elements? 

3) Take a week (or a few) and just do it instead of my "regular" workouts. Or do it just once? 

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome… Have you done it like this before? 

Antonio Alías Montoya

I ve thought about that many times, but I m early on progressions so it s not my time yet. I think there are some key progressions, some progressions that are much more important to keep training than others. Those key progression should  be better given by the coaches. Nevertheless I ve thought about which ones could be from f1. HBP pseudo planche push ups and dips. RC elevated ring rows from pe1 to 3, not sure about the rest. FL pe 6. SL pe3 and pe6. MN pe3 and pe6. SLS full squat, deck squat. I haven t thought about SPL.

This is what i would train once passed these elements. But you can t take my advice as a scientific evidence, haha. Just my own research. If a group of exercises are the same and only changes the leverage then keep training the hardest variation. If the ecercise differs a lot from other then is probablt good to keep it in you training.

Looking forward to read what coaches have to say!

Suzanna McGee

Yes, Antonio, I was thinking about it a lot too. It would be just one or two weeks thing, just to change it up and refresh all the old movements… say the SLS progressions, I am quite far, so the "easy" ones in the beginning would be kind of like warm-up, and it would be 12 sets all together. My SL and FL would be 10 sets, MN 5 sets…  RC and HBP 2 sets (so those I could double :) )… and similar with handstands. I am at PE8 and PE5 so another 13 sets :) a little more than I do now, but doable. Curious to hear what the coaches think. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Suzanna,

I don't find it necessary to do that. I still stick to the warm-up structure described in the intro article about warm-up and simply cycle different movements in and out. I prefer to keep it simple and focus primarily on the progressions I've reached. Don't ruin a deoad week by stressing your nervous system with the extra volume of "retired" movements. 

Suzanna McGee

OK, that's good to hear @Everett Carroll.  I will do what you suggest and cycle the different movements instead. That makes sense. Thank you!!!

Jonas Berglund

Hi guys,, have I understood correct that Jefferson curls are a main/must stay in most GST-athletes weekly program/warmup after Mastery? 

Are there any Other must-Stays from F1?

Antonio Alías Montoya

I read from Alessandro Mainente that one should mantain PPP until completion of HBP F1, but he didn t say you should keep it in F2, 3 or 4.

Everett Carroll

For me, keeping PPP in after F1 was beneficial. I'll keep doing those things forever. 

Otherwise, keeping the J. Curl and other weighted iM's in your toolbox is going to be really helpful down the road. I cycle through the different progressions in my warmup as I mentioned above, getting exposure to most everything in F1 over time. Of course, for  things like hollow body, just stick with the full hollow/rock for warmup once you've mastered those. No need to regress in difficulty there. 

Luke Banchy
On 6/30/2017 at 10:55 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Suzanna,

I don't find it necessary to do that. I still stick to the warm-up structure described in the intro article about warm-up and simply cycle different movements in and out. I prefer to keep it simple and focus primarily on the progressions I've reached. Don't ruin a deoad week by stressing your nervous system with the extra volume of "retired" movements. 

Where is this warm-up intro article if I may ask? I've been wondering about this very thing. Thank you!

Pauline Taube

Hi Luke,

If you go to the introduction section from your Dashboard you'll see the warm-up article. I've attached the direct link below :) 

https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-warmup/