This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strength Plateau

Started by Jeffrey Mailly, June 29, 2017 · 13 Replies · 423 Views

Jeffrey Mailly

I did a search on this topic and did not find what I was looking for. Please point me to the correct thread if one is out there.

I just restarted GST after 2yrs off. I'm trying to approach this with a new patient mindset and so far its helping a lot. However there's one thing I remember from training in the past that caused much mental frustration. I would frequently hit a strength plateau, where I could not do another rep if you held a gun to my head, never mind trying to use good form. I remember spending weeks on the same element and getting nowhere. Zero progress it seemed.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there a reason why this occurs? Is there something I can do in my training going forward when this happens?

To use an example. Say I get stuck on pushups. I cannot do the full reps/sets no matter how hard I push my body. What is happening here? Just give it more time? Will my body eventually adapt and overcome? Could it take weeks or months to happen?

Alessandro Mainente

Strenght plateau comes out when training parameters like intensity, volume, frequency, rest are not correctly scheduled. Are you following the foundations course?

Jeffrey Mailly

Yes. Was following them 100% 2yrs ago. I am following them 100% right now as well. I just want to know what to do if I run into it again.

I can remember getting stuck on the last step of the pushups element. I believe it was 5 sets x 15 reps. I could not complete the final set. After 5 weeks I got frustrated and gave up.

Darin Phoenix

Hi Jeffrey,

As Alex mentioned in his previous post a plateau can be reached when your training parameters have not been correctly implemented. It could also be your body jsut taking the necessary time to make adpatations to the set of demands that you are placing on it. Progres is not always measured in a linear fashion. 

I also would not consider 5 weeks to be a plateau. Like most training based questions there is no simple answer. It is impossible to say when you reach a plateau adjust your volume and this will again lead to progress. It is something that needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. The best advice I can give you is that when you feel like you have hit a plateau (definitely longer than 5 weeks) reach out in the forums that way we can look at your current situation and what may be preventing you from making progress.

If there is one somple piece of advie I can give it is that consistency will trump most other training variables. Just turning up and doing the work on a consistent basis will put you ahead of most trainees thatjump from program to programlooking for some magical formula for progress. 

Suzanna McGee
32 minutes ago, Jeffrey Mailly said:

I could not complete the final set. After 5 weeks I got frustrated and gave up.

 

5 minutes ago, Darin Phoenix said:

consistency will trump most other training variables. Just turning up and doing the work on a consistent basis will put you ahead of most trainees

Imagine, @Jeffrey Mailly, if you kept doing your 4.5 x 15r during these 2 years that you took your break… :-)  Just a motivation to not give up this time.  :-) 

Jeffrey Mailly
11 minutes ago, Darin Phoenix said:

Hi Jeffrey,

As Alex mentioned in his previous post a plateau can be reached when your training parameters have not been correctly implemented. It could also be your body jsut taking the necessary time to make adpatations to the set of demands that you are placing on it. Progres is not always measured in a linear fashion. 

I also would not consider 5 weeks to be a plateau. Like most training based questions there is no simple answer. It is impossible to say when you reach a plateau adjust your volume and this will again lead to progress. It is something that needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. The best advice I can give you is that when you feel like you have hit a plateau (definitely longer than 5 weeks) reach out in the forums that way we can look at your current situation and what may be preventing you from making progress.

If there is one somple piece of advie I can give it is that consistency will trump most other training variables. Just turning up and doing the work on a consistent basis will put you ahead of most trainees thatjump from program to programlooking for some magical formula for progress. 

You guys rock. The advice in this Forum is amazing. Thanks so much. I have a new mindset like I said, trying to look at every aspect of my performance and not let any roadblocks become a hindrance. I've vowed to give this second round everything I have for the sake of my health and taking care of my kids. I added Stretch Series and H1 to my F1 training. So far (3 weeks) so good. Will continue to stay with it and post progress in time. Thanks again.

 

3 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

 

Imagine, @Jeffrey Mailly, if you kept doing your 4.5 x 15r during these 2 years that you took your break… :-)  Just a motivation to not give up this time.  :-) 

I think about it a lot. I've felt the pull since I stopped. I had a major life crisis last year that negated any effort the last 12 months. Losing a newborn will do that to you. Slowly and steadily climbing out of the hole of despair and trying to let my daughters brief life inspire me and have some positive impact. The daily training and some morning meditation are the best thing I've done hands down. Trying to become a better version of myself. Plenty of motivation this time to get after the training.

Darin Phoenix

So sorry to hear about your loss. I cannot imagine how diffcult that must have been for you.

It is great to hear that you are slowly recovering and letting your daughter inspire you to make positive changes in your life. It is truly inspirational. We will always be available in the forums to assist you in any way we can with your training.

BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!

Jeffrey Mailly
1 minute ago, Darin Phoenix said:

So sorry to hear about your loss. I cannot imagine how diffcult that must have been for you.

It is great to hear that you are slowly recovering and letting your daughter inspire you to make positive changes in your life. It is truly inspirational. We will always be available in the forums to assist you in any way we can with your training.

BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!

Thanks very much. She had tremendous strength and resolve. Training has helped bring much needed focus, clarity, and peace. Hopefully I can show others support down the road someday as well.

Suzanna McGee

Very sorry for your loss @Jeffrey Mailly. Great that you are doing better. Training and taking good care of yourself will definitely help you to feel better, and better… and better. And you will inspire and motivate all around you. 

Winter Phoenix

So sorry to hear about your loss @Jeffrey Mailly. Welcome back to the forums we look forward to watching your progress and assisting you when you hit those plateaus.

Benjamin Nutt
On 6/29/2017 at 2:03 PM, Darin Phoenix said:

Hi Jeffrey,

As Alex mentioned in his previous post a plateau can be reached when your training parameters have not been correctly implemented. It could also be your body jsut taking the necessary time to make adpatations to the set of demands that you are placing on it. Progres is not always measured in a linear fashion. 

I also would not consider 5 weeks to be a plateau. Like most training based questions there is no simple answer. It is impossible to say when you reach a plateau adjust your volume and this will again lead to progress. It is something that needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. The best advice I can give you is that when you feel like you have hit a plateau (definitely longer than 5 weeks) reach out in the forums that way we can look at your current situation and what may be preventing you from making progress.

If there is one somple piece of advie I can give it is that consistency will trump most other training variables. Just turning up and doing the work on a consistent basis will put you ahead of most trainees thatjump from program to programlooking for some magical formula for progress. 

Hey Darin,

Out of curiosity, what timeframe would you consider to be a plateau?

Darin Phoenix

Hi Benjamin, @Benjamin Nutt

Again this is a difficult thing to answer as it depends on what you consider to be progress and what you consider to be a plateau. The majority of my training time would be spent in what most people would call a plateau. Sometimes the gains that you are making are so small and spread out over such a period of time that it can almost seem as though you are not making any progress at all.

As I have gained more experience with my training I try and look at things a little bit differently. I think Coach has been quoted as saying that things will take as long as they need to. My focus now is much more about the journey than the destination. I still have some goals that I am working towards but I have realigned the way that I process things so now for me there is as much joy in striving to achieve my goals as there is in actually achieving them. As trainees, we need to learn to love spending time in plateaus, continuing on the path rather than constantly changing directions as soon as progress seems to slow down. That is the fast path to nowhere. 

Learn to control the things that you can control. Your intensity and focus in your training sessions, your execution of repetitions and constant drive to improve. And the most simple one of all your consistency. As turning up on a regular basis day in day out, year in year out will put you ahead of 95% of the population. Embrace the plateaus, Embrace the grind and the rest will take care of itself.

If there is something specific that you feel you are not progressing on then please always feel free to contact me or one of the other forum coach's and we will do our best to assist you in any way we can to continue to progress.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Benjamin Nutt

I completely agree with @Darin Phoenix. 

Plateaus will be more clear as you learn more about your body and its limits. Everybody is different and nothing can replace experience. 

Antonio Alías Montoya

I ve been on plateau since I started GST :P Hahahaha, it seems this thing will take me a bit more than high school...