This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to achieve sufficient planche lean?

Started by Marcus Patterson, June 29, 2017 · 16 Replies · 470 Views

Marcus Patterson

I have been doing the course for a year now, and have been on planche lean for a looooong time.

I sent in a video for a progress check, found out I was not leaning enough and restarted.

I then did the same again, and found out it still wasn´t enough lean.

So I started again, and am now on my third time round, and am doing 5 sets of 6 second leans. I am on my limit of lean but still when I film it, it still looks way off where my hands need to be.

 

So the question is, are there any other ways I can practice this to get more lean ? Any advice appreciated!

 

 

Winter Phoenix

Hi Marcus,

What is limiting you from leaning further forward? For example is it mobility in your wrists or strength in your shoulders?  

Tobias Karlsson

Possibly add  a link to how your lean looks right now and it might make it easier to spot where the problem lies. 

Marcus Patterson

Hi guys

here is a link to some of my form checks. Since the second  video, I have gone right back to 6 second holds and am leaning as far as I can go without falling forward. I will need to post another video of that for you. 

I think it is more shoulder strength rather than wrist problems. Having said that I cannot do it with my hands pointing forward and so have my hands at 3 and 9  clock.

Alessandro Mainente

hy guys, how much to lean? follow the diagram below. strictly.

leaning.png

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Marcus Patterson,

Alex diagram is good for planche lean cues. In my experience, I took my time building strength in different levels of lean. What I mean is, before adding more lean I tried to go for 30 seconds on what I am able to hold with the proper form. (maximum protraction, depressed scaps, solid core and posterior pelvic tilt) 

As Winter said, you also have to focus on your deficits. Possible wrist strength and flexibility, weak shoulders, tight upper back, weak core, not enough PPT strength. I hope this helps.

Everything takes time. I am still working on my lean up to this point. Patience and consistency is the key.

Marcus Patterson

I just tried as per that diagram, but are my hands fare back enough?

 

Jin Liu

@Marcus Patterson I'm totally with you on this one. Every degree of more lean pretty much required me to start all over again. I've been on this one for the longest time. Thank you for starting the post, and we are all learning from it. Love Alessandro's diagram, very crystal clear. Couldn't help trying it (at work, in the office, managed to find a corner, lol), and to my surprise it felt easy... My original goal was to reach a point where it's kinda weightless on the toes. Am I too hard (and maybe unrealistic) on myself?

Everett Carroll

@Marcus Patterson Your hips were in front of your knees at the start which reduced your depth of lean. Good attempt, but try again with vertical thighs. 

@Jin Liu Keep returning to the basics, at least for warm up, to solidify your shape and strength, and your goal is not unreasonable. That is a great long-term goal. 

Marcus Patterson
25 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

@Marcus Patterson Your hips were in front of your knees at the start which reduced your depth of lean. Good attempt, but try again with vertical thighs. 

@Jin Liu Keep returning to the basics, at least for warm up, to solidify your shape and strength, and your goal is not unreasonable. That is a great long-term goal. 

Thanks I'll try again and post. 

Marcus Patterson

Any better?

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Marcus,

Getting better, yes. Make sure your shoulders are stacked over your wrists as well. Also, protract much more strongly. 

Marcus Patterson

Hi guys , still working on getting more Lean. Is this any better?

 

Alessandro Mainente

I like it Marcus, very nice work especially you body alignment!

Marcus Patterson
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I like it Marcus, very nice work especially you body alignment!

Thanks wow great praise indeed!

Jennifer Marie

Very cool to see your progress through all the form check updates. Great work Marcus! This movement is coming up soon for me, so I'm taking notes through your learning process. Keep up the great work!

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Take the watch off. It hinders your wrist's range of motion.

Without parrallettes.  The amount of lean required is so far forward that you must press your fingers into floor surface and hold your serratus anterior tight to keep from "face planting." 

You know are leaning far enough when you can flex just the spinal erectors to lift your toes off the ground. When flexed stronger spinal erectors are needed to make the spine similar to straight metal bar.

The "Maltese lean" is similar.