This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Posterior Pelvic Tilt Up Against Wall

Started by Eric Roberts 277658, June 28, 2017 · 13 Replies · 175 Views

Eric Roberts 277658

Hello,

During MSSSE22, I find as I pull my legs apart my posterior naturally comes off the floor as I go into an obvious posterior pelvic tilt. Is there anyway to combat this or a different progression? Is there something in particular I should be focusing on?

I do have posterior pelvic tilt issues when it comes to the general straddle stretches as well. I'm up on two blocks (on the long flat side) to try to mitigate and combat this as best possible. The only reason why I don't add more is it seems to become more of a balancing act than a stretch. However sometimes I feel 2 blocks is not enough. Awkwardly a chair is far too much. I'm not sure what to do in this case either. I'm exactly at 2 months at this point and I don't feel I'll be progressing past 2 blocks anytime soon.

Thanks for your help,

- Eric

Pauline Taube

Hi Eric,

In MSSSE22 you don't need to force yourself neither in apt or ppt. Your back should be neutral in this position. 

For the pancake exercise you want to have an anterior pelvic tilt. If a chair is too much try a bench or something that is in between the two blocks and the chair. 

Feel free to submit a form check, this way it will be easier to give you more specific and accurate feedback. 

Patience and consistency is definitely important when doing mobility work. Progress might seem slow to begin with, but keep working and use the forum for support. We are looking forward to follow your progress :) 

Eric Roberts 277658

Hi Pauline,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have to somehow find a stool of some sort.

Specifically for MSSSE22 I meant that even up against the wall, I cannot get a flat back at all when I pull my legs apart for the straddle. When I pull my legs apart, my posterior comes off the ground as my lower back rounds. I'm not sure how to work around this specific issue. Should I consider doing a standing straddle instead and focus on keeping an anterior pelvic tilt?

Thank you for your help and feedback.

- Eric

Everett Carroll

Hi Eric,

Only straddle as wide as you can maintain contact through your entire back. Can you send a video in to us?

Eric Roberts 277658

 

2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Eric,

Only straddle as wide as you can maintain contact through your entire back. Can you send a video in to us?

The only issue I have with this is I often don't feel anything unless I do go wide enough that my posterior starts to come off the floor. I suspect it's mostly just really tight upper hamstrings.

Would pictures suffice? It may be a few days before I can find space/time to demonstrate. I will try to get this uploaded as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Luke Searra

Eric, please send us pictures until you can take a video. They will absolutely do for right now.

Alessandro Mainente

The more you straddle the less posterior pelvic tilt you can hold. it is a physiological problem. 

Eric Roberts 277658

So with my limited space and time I managed to take a few photos as best as I could. Notably I didn't even realize how far off my back is off the floor when I'm sitting up the wall even in pike. As soon as I straddle I can feel my legs press into the wall and I come off of it. It become nearly impossible to come close to the wall.

Sorry for the bad photos! I tried as best as I could given the circumstances.

5955be2cf3b97_againstwall(1).thumb.jpg.51020adf0eebd4931a80977d95079970.jpg5955be2eeb11b_againstwall(2).thumb.jpg.36c3afe20b87be1d7ed317a2c211d69c.jpg

Thanks for your time,

- Eric

 

Alessandro Mainente

the problem it is hamstring and glutes. are you working also on the front split?

Eric Roberts 277658

I am also working on front splits.

Notably I am also not doing Foundation 1 which I hear also helps mobility in hamstring and lower back

Is there something I should be doing for this exercise because my hamstrings are so tight? If I only go as far as I can where I can keep my back flat against the floor then I shouldn't really be doing this exercise in the first place correct? Or is there some way to help correct for it?

Are there any additional exercises you would recommend? Something else I should work on?

Thanks!

- Eric

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Eric Roberts 277658,

Yes Foundations will surely help with overall mobility. It would be best to do Foundations along with your Stretch Courses. From experience since I got the Foundations first prior to starting the stretch courses, I really built a good solid foundation for strength and mobility. I hope this helps. :)

Eric Roberts 277658

I understand that Foundations may help.

Is there any suggestions on how to proceed with this stretch? Should I still straddle out even though I come off the wall? Should I still do the stretch or should I replace it with a standing straddle stretch?

Thanks for your time,

- Eric

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Eric I suggest passing daily sometime in this position with bent knees, the necessary amount of flexion which allows reaching the floor with the butt.

Eric Roberts 277658

Hi Alessando,

Thanks! Will do!