HS lever and snapdowns

Started by dlsso, March 3, 2010 · 1 Replies · 1,534 Views

dlsso

I've been working these a little bit and have found that I have a really bad habit of reaching for the ground instead of keeping my shoulders open as I enter. Here's where I am so far along with errors I'm aware of:

HS Levers

hNMehXcT0_Y My body dips before my leg lifts, I break my shoulder angle a little on entry, back foot touches well before hands are all the way up. Basically way to much flex and not enough lever.

Snapdowns

7z8R3NhSVn0 I'm aware my shoulders never open fully on these either. I'm sorry the camera is too high for you to see it, but I'm barely getting my hands off the ground before my feet hit. I can't seem to create much lift.

Suggestions for either would be very welcome. Thanks!

Blairbob

I prefer that your torso would be straight not arched from the entry of the lunge. You might try to reach just a tiny bit more. I do teach that the HS is arched in the shoulders at the top for HS snapdown/thru.

If you can elevate your hands somehow, it makes it less difficult which allows for better form. Or you could bend your knees back like a 1/2 lay position.

You are also tucking your knees. This makes me want to think you either need to straighten them or you need more strength/power. Again doing these on the floor is not really easy, imo. With your hands elevated, it allows more time for the legs to come down and more lift of the upper body to happen (easier to block off).

Bare in mind when training these, they are typically done with a lot of hand spotting. Generally I assist the gymnast to hit the arched HS position, even pushing the shoulders open with the other arm or helping them elevate their arms/chest.