This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fundamentals

Started by Scott Spalding, June 28, 2017 · 18 Replies · 503 Views

Scott Spalding

Hello!

Here are links to video recordings of my four summary workouts.  Some of them are split between multiple videos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B__gFc6hOyU7YUdOY2dtYjkteUU

I'm looking for help in identifying deficiencies and what I should focus on to help fix them.  After that, I'm looking for input if I should repeat the fundamentals or move on to another workout.

For reference, I'm also doing regular kickboxing and yoga for cardio and fun.

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Scott,

Thanks for reaching out to us! We are happy to review your footage. Before we do, can you please upload the videos to YouTube or DropBox, adjust the privacy settings to unlisted, and send in the link. 

We're looking forward to helping!

Scott Spalding

Sure I can do that.

Everett Carroll

Hey Scott,

Sorry but the links seem to be invalid. Can you please try reposting?

Everett Carroll

Hi Scott,

Videos are good now, thanks. Here are my suggestions:

-For Hip Swivels, spread your feet apart approximately hip width. 

-For seated straddle, butterfly, and pike work, elevate your hips by sitting on a stretch block, cushions, etc. Your goal is to have a straight spine for these.

-During Stiff Bear, work to keep your knees straight.

-Try to keep your knees together during the Supine Windshield Wipers.

-Feet together during Arch Body Holds is the goal. 

Keep on cranking. You're doing fantastic Scott.

Scott Spalding

Thanks!  Should I go back through from the start?  Should I just do the summary workout videos?

Pauline Taube

Hi Scott,

I recommend to stick to the daily limbering routine, but feel free to add some extra practice to the movements you are having trouble with :) 

Scott Spalding

I've been sticking through the daily limbering routine.  For reference, what should I do when I've completed another round of the routine?  Post videos again?  Repeat the routine a few more times?

Thanks!

Darin Phoenix

Once you feel you have made some improvements in the movements feel free to post some more videos for feedback.

Scott Spalding

Okay, following the advice given in this thread, here's what I did:
I ran through the entire course four more times (doing one video daily), focusing on movements I was struggling with (this took me until December).
Since the beginning of the year I've been doing the "Daily Limbering" video, well, daily.

Here's my progress video: 


Suggestions?  I'm still having a lot of trouble with straight spine while sitting.

Everett Carroll

Hey Scott,

I like the consistency and hard work you've put it. To help with sitting up straighter during the pike and straddle positions, I recommend sitting on something 2-3x as high as the cushion you're using. This is the same recommendation we give in our stretch courses to ensure a proper back position. Gradually, you will be able to lower the height of the object you are seated on and still maintain a straight back. 

In fact, the stretch courses would be the best next step for you as they focus more seriously on improving the mobility in all of the areas the daily limber hits. No matter how tight you are, you can start them right away and, paired with this daily limber, they will greatly speed up your progress. 

Scott Spalding

So to be clear, I should do the daily limber every day and do one stretch video per day?

Scott Spalding

Also my goal from these courses is very specific: I want to be able to do unsupported hand stands (in case that's relevant in what your recommendations are).

Everett Carroll

Hey Scott,

That helps a lot! In order to get closer to your goal of a handstand, you should begin Handstand One, Foundation One, and Stretch as soon as possible. Those courses can be started once Fundamentals is complete and will be the best way for you to start building the strength and mobility necessary for that goal. The programming is explained within those courses so simply follow the schedule shown and keep daily limbering. Let us know if you have any more questions :D

Scott Spalding

Great, thanks!

Scott Spalding

I went with GB Unlimited, which seems to have all three pieces you recommended.  The plan I'm going to follow is to perform the recommended workout each day (which will be from Stretch, Handstand One, or Foundation One and seems to consist of 3 smaller videos) and then the Daily Limber.  I think this is what you recommended.

Everett Carroll

Perfect, Scott. Follow Coach Sommer's recommended schedule and add the daily limber to each day's warmup or cooldown.