This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE1-iM

Started by Francisco Garcia, June 27, 2017 · 19 Replies · 194 Views

Francisco Garcia

Reposting with two angles and my arms narrower.  

As I'm having trouble with the later shoulder mobility progressions, I thought I should go back and get mastery checks for the ones that I had judged myself to have passed.

Here is PE1-iM.  The motion seems so subtle, I'm not sure if I am doing it right.  Is this enough for mastery?  

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Francisco,

It is always smart to upload a Form Check. I recommend revisiting this mobility.

You can see in your video that you have a small pike in the shoulders. For mastery you will need to open the shoulders to 180 degrees. I suggest rebuilding this mobility with an unweighted bar. First, spread the hands as far apart as you need to be able to open the shoulders completely. Once you find that spot, slowly work on bringing the hands closer together until you are able to open the shoulders completely with the hands at shoulder width. Once you are able to do both of these things you can add weight.

As you do this exercise, avoid sticking your head forward. Try to keep your head in a neutral position creating a straight line throughout your spine.

Taking a small step backwards will speed up your progress moving forward.

Francisco Garcia

Thanks Jeffrey!  Will work on this.  When you say "open the shoulders to 180 degrees" does that mean having your arms in line with your back?

Francisco Garcia

Hi @Jeffrey Bittner I am struggling a bit understanding this one.  I saw in another thread that someone said you need to "avoid shoulder flexion."  What does that mean?

Is this basically the top part of a shoulder dislocate, or is it meant to be different?  Should your armpits be facing out or forward?

Here is my latest attempt.  Is it closer to correct?  I used an unweighted bar (though weight doesn't seem to make much of a difference) and spread my hands out a bit (big difference!)

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Francisco,

That is correct. You should aim to reach 180 degrees of shoulder flexion, however, you should not dislocate the shoulders. This will create a straight line through the shoulders. Keeping the armpits pointing forward, and not out to the side, is a great way to think about this.

In your video it looks like you made a nice adjustment, however, you spread the hands a bit too far apart. You can see that your armpits turn out to the side which is the result of dislocating the shoulders. Move your hands closer together until you find the point where you are able to open the shoulders completely while keeping the armpits forward.

Francisco Garcia

Hi Jeffrey, is this better?  

 

Jeffrey Bittner

It looks much better, Francisco! That is a solid starting point. As you hold your position, remember to avoid sticking your head forward.

Awesome job making corrections!

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Francisco, it is your left elbow completely locked.

Francisco Garcia
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Francisco, it is your left elbow completely locked.

Good point!  I noticed that as well.  I had been trying to film this so many times yesterday that my shoulders and arms were getting pretty sore.  At least now I have a much better idea of what to do for this exercise.  I really should have taken advantage of this forum when I first started the courses!

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Francisco Garcia said:

Good point!  I noticed that as well.  I had been trying to film this so many times yesterday that my shoulders and arms were getting pretty sore.  At least now I have a much better idea of what to do for this exercise.  I really should have taken advantage of this forum when I first started the courses!

it was also mine problem, at the beginning feel free to squeeze at all your triceps.

Francisco Garcia

Was hoping for a mastery check on this one.  Is this good enough, or is there still improvement needed?  I tried to keep my arms straight.  I used the weighted bar.  Hands are just past shoulder width.  Arms are in line (or close!).  I tried to keep my head in neutral position, though it doesn't look like it

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Francisco Garcia,

Nice improvement. Just to be sure, can you post a video on the opposite side.

Francisco Garcia

Here's one from the other side.  Let me know what you think, @Leo Trinidad

thanks!

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Francisco Garcia,

Huge improvement in locking your arms. :) keep up the good work. 

Francisco Garcia

Ok to move on to the next progression?  

Btw, on the next progression's IM (PE2-iM), I know the arms are supposed to be shoulder width apart and you're supposed to get them to 90 degrees, but I am unable to do so.  

Should I practice getting them to 90 degrees with arms wider, and then trying to narrow them over time, or is it better to start with the arms narrow even if I can't get them to 90 degrees, and then try to get them to 90 over time?

Guido Franchetti

Hi Francisco, I cannot answer for mastery, but regarding the iM the general rule is: start with hands as wide as you need to get the required range of motion (90 degrees for iM 2 as you said), then decrease hands width and only when you can get the required rom AND width increase weight and start again.

Francisco Garcia

Thanks @Guido Franchetti!  

For me, in order to get my arms to 90 degrees on iM2, they need to be pretty comically spread apart.  The bar is basically touching my back.  It looks (and feels!) like I'm being crucified. 

Guido Franchetti

Haha I know the feeling from iM6! I am fine with the dislocate part, but getting the bar down to the chest without opening (quite) a bit my hands is reeeeaally hard at the moment.

Maybe making the stretch into a passive one by letting the bar rest onto something at an appropriate height, at least on some occasions, could help by allowing you to spend more time in it.  One of the coaches can probably give you some better suggestions.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Francisco Garcia,

My advice is that you keep working on the first iM as a warmup when you move to PE2. Also please consider on adding the Thoracic Bridge Course as it will hasten your progress for shoulder mobility. :)

Francisco Garcia

Good advice, @Leo Trinidad

I definitely need to do more to improve my shoulder mobility.  I have the thoracic bridge course, but don't do it as regularly as I should.  

I also like @Guido Franchetti 's advice about passive stretching. I had my son help me push the bar up for im2 and I got it to 90 degrees without too much discomfort, even with a narrow grip.  Is this type of stretch a good thing to do?