This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mild Pain in L1/T12 Area- use glutes?

Started by Erica Delin, June 27, 2017 · 11 Replies · 240 Views

Erica Delin

I have been having mild soreness and pain in my mid-back what I would guess to be the L1/T12 area. I had been noticing it for a few weeks while doing certain exercises and movements, namely: thoracic bridge exercises, seal stretch, or simply standing up straight but slightly leaning/arching my back.

Since it's relatively mild, at first I just thought it was my muscles complaining from having to do so much more work than usual (my thoracic spine is not that mobile). But after it didn't go away for a couple weeks I have taken a break from the thoracic bridge exercises for a couple of weeks.

If I don't do those movements, I don't have any pain. Except, I do have pain to the touch if I push around and in between those two vertebrae. I think it's just muscular pain and not nerve pain since it's mild. It feels like a bad bruise at times. Other times more like muscular soreness that I feel like massaging.

My hypothesis is that I tend to "hinge" at that L1/T12. I have been told this by PTs/doctors in the past. I think this is what Coach Sommer was referring to in the thoracic follow-along when he said that it's easy to go "all-lumbar." I've progressed in my thoracic mobility work, but probably mostly due to this hinging. And the one joint is taking the brunt.

The other piece of my hypothesis is that I have had glute med/piriformis/sciatica type issues for a few years now. Through that I have also been told by several health professionals that I don't activate my glutes properly for most exercises.

So my proposed fix is that I should focus on activating my glutes during these exercises, which so far I have found to limit how much I can simply use my lumbar spine to get a deep bridge and feel better about myself. I wanted to run my hypothesis through the forum here before I got too far though, just to make sure I'm not missing something. 

Does this sound like the right approach? Or does the pain to the touch in between my vertebrae signify something that I should get looked at by a doctor?

Thanks!

Pauline Taube

Hi Erica,

I strongly suggest to consult a physio or other medical professional about this. In the meantime avoid all the exercises that are causing you any pain. 

Erica Delin

OK- thanks for the input! I will address this with a doctor.

I should also mention that during my investigations/doctor's visits for my sciatica I had an x-ray and an MRI done on my lumbar spine in 2015, and both came back normal. 

Blair Millar

Hi Erica, how are you going with this? I have symptoms remarkably similar to what you have described. Thought it was a bruise but it just doesn't go away. Other times seems almost like a knot that I want to massage out. It's manageable so I'm just continuing slowly and hoping it goes away...

Erica Delin

Hi Blair- Sorry to hear that, but also glad it's not just me.

I went to a general practitioner for the issue, but she was not very empathetic or understanding ("It hurts when you push on it? So don't push on it."). Good news is that she referred me to a sports medicine doctor for a different issue (hip bursitis) and from there I got referred to a PT. The PT is much more of a systems thinker and has taken this back stuff into account. As mentioned in my original post, I also have a history of sciatica- so it could all be related in my case.

To be honest, I haven't done the thoracic bridge series in probably two months because it just wasn't getting any better. I have been doing some exercises that the PT described and it has been helping my hip and I think my back as well! I can describe them briefly here if you want and you can let me know if you want more explanation.

1. the "muscle energy" technique she calls it. This is specific to the pelvis. Lying on back with knees bent. 30 seconds pushing out on a strap. 30 seconds squeezing a block. Supposed to help the right muscles fire to get alignment. I'm doing this before the stretches below.

2. Quad/psoas stretch. This one is hard to describe- let me know if you want me to. Otherwise I would google good psoas isolation stretches. 2 min both sides.

3. Self un-loading exercises for the spine. Google has good ones for this too. Do frequently through the day.

4. Passive extension. Only using the arms (resting on the elbows) and doing cobra while completely relaxing the lower body and spine. 20 reps. She said that this would help the back issue.

I did/am doing these 2-4 times per day (1x in the morning, before/after exercise, and before bed) every day for a few weeks and my hip got immediately better.

I would say that the pain during extension in my back has gotten better, but I still have the pain if I push around the vertebrae.....so I still haven't done any thoracic bridge exercises to be safe.

I have a follow up PT appointment next week.

Let me know if you find anything that works for you! I'd suggest finding a PT so they can tailor exercises to fit your situation.

Good luck!

Erica 

Blair Millar

Thanks for the detailed response. I've had 3-4 weeks away so was a good chance to rest it and the pain seems to be a bit better. I will look into the moves you suggested. Adapting the cobra (seal stretch) sounds good as this was one that caused a bit of pain. 

Best of luck with your recovery. 

Erica Delin

Blair- what's your update on your back? I unfortunately have not had consistent improvement. Much the same from my last post. Went to another PT and still no change. Haven't done thoracic bridge exercises in over a year :(

Erica Delin

Update to this thread- I got an X-ray finally and the doc said bone spurs and some mild arthritis is causing the pain and stiffness in my back.

Glad to know what it is finally- but freaking out since I'm only 33. Hoping it's possible to reverse?? I know of some people in GB who've had back success stories... I need to explore more of the posts on here for ones specific to arthritis.... I'm concerned that the GB exacerbated it in the first place....

Planning to go to YET another PT/chiro for it as well. Still not going any thoracic bridge stretches. :(

Alessandro Mainente

If we talk about arthritis it is an inflammatory process and it is possible to heal or at least reduce it. arthrosis is degenerative.

Geonho Lee
53 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

If we talk about arthritis it is an inflammatory process and it is possible to heal or at least reduce it. arthrosis is degenerative.

Alessandro, hi!

My forms of thoracic bridge were posted in this forum, please check the forms! Thank you.

Erica Delin
On 3/4/2019 at 3:28 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

If we talk about arthritis it is an inflammatory process and it is possible to heal or at least reduce it. arthrosis is degenerative.

Thanks Alessandro - that's what my understanding is as well about the inflammation. The doctor said that the bone spurs are due to the inflammation... Would you also say then that the bone spurs could be healed/reduced?

Alessandro Mainente

yes.