This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Prone band pulls form check

Started by Leigh Kettle, June 24, 2017 · 21 Replies · 212 Views

Leigh Kettle

On this exercise follow along video coach talks about not piking and not using the lats to pull down . Am I doing that here . I feel that for me not to pike my shoulder flexion would have to be very good so is what I'm doing acceptable at this stage . The feeling of curling one rib at a time doesn't really eminate with me as my thoracic is so flat 

All the cues coach talks about i.e. chin last  etc I'm kinda just doingand going through the  motions  without really feeling why I'm doing it if you get what I mean as it just feels like a movement coming from my neck lol 

any feeback much appreciated as always

leigh https://youtu.be/4QlQYnAuxqg

Everett Carroll

Hey Leigh,

For this drill, you want to shrug your shoulders to your ears. Keep pushing your hands as far in front of you as possible. This will eliminate any pulling with the lats.

Keep your glutes tight the entire time. 

In order to not pike. Allow the band to pull your shoulders into at least 180-degree flexion FIRST, and then begin to curl, maintaining your shoulder angle. When my students can't yet achieve that ROM, I have a spotter/partner place gentle pressure around their shoulder blades and limit the extent of the arch. This drill helps them focus on the development of their shoulder flexion since that open shoulder angle is what "leads".

When arching, you want to arch your whole spine, so keep looking up but don't force the neck arch to the point of discomfort. 

Does this help?

Josh Earl
13 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

On this exercise follow along video coach talks about not piking and not using the lats to pull down . Am I doing that here . I feel that for me not to pike my shoulder flexion would have to be very good so is what I'm doing acceptable at this stage . The feeling of curling one rib at a time doesn't really eminate with me as my thoracic is so flat 

All the cues coach talks about i.e. chin last  etc I'm kinda just doingand going through the  motions  without really feeling why I'm doing it if you get what I mean as it just feels like a movement coming from my neck lol 

any feeback much appreciated as always

leigh https://youtu.be/4QlQYnAuxqg

Hey Leigh, just wanted to say that I checked out some of your YouTube videos, and I'm super impressed with 1.) how seroiously strong you are and 2.) the humble and teachable attitude you have about the seemingly basic exercises in Foundation. Most guys with your level of ability would not be so coachable--props. :)

Leigh Kettle

Wow thank you josh that means alot to hear that. 

Strangely that "best of" YouTube video I don't even know who posted that lol. They seem to have taken some of my instagram videos somehow and put them on this video . Only realised recently . 

Ive said before on one of my posts here that I remember listening to coach on one of his podcasts talk about calisthenics guys and how they tend to have a short shelf life before they break themselves due to lack of proper programming etc . What he described was me perfectly . I was self taught and tho I was proud of that fact, im now smarter because of it and Because I was quite clueless on so many levels, this  caused me injury that I'm still rehabbing from . Even during those days I would come to the public forums here cos you guys where who i looked up to and aspired to . The fact I didn't join sooner still annoys me to this day lol. I know now I'm on a proper path and journey and love how my body is feeling and what I hopefully will achieve .

Have to admit josh Taking the step back to think "ok I now need to realise I will lose the strength and even physique I've built while I concentrate on my deficits "  was the hardest part for me but I know one day that should return but return . 

Just so happy and grateful to now have teachers on here that can teach me so being humble isn't even a thing for me in that respect 

thanks again for your kind words josh

leigh 

Leigh Kettle
8 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Leigh,

For this drill, you want to shrug your shoulders to your ears. Keep pushing your hands as far in front of you as possible. This will eliminate any pulling with the lats.

Keep your glutes tight the entire time. 

In order to not pike. Allow the band to pull your shoulders into at least 180-degree flexion FIRST, and then begin to curl, maintaining your shoulder angle. When my students can't yet achieve that ROM, I have a spotter/partner place gentle pressure around their shoulder blades and limit the extent of the arch. This drill helps them focus on the development of their shoulder flexion since that open shoulder angle is what "leads".

When arching, you want to arch your whole spine, so keep looking up but don't force the neck arch to the point of discomfort. 

Does this help?

Everett this helps massively and those cues are just what I needed . Explained just how I needed it to be so thank you 

now I can go into this exercise with a bit more confidence in what I'm supposed to be doing etc

thanks so much one again

leigh 

Josh Earl
2 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Wow thank you josh that means alot to hear that. 

Strangely that "best of" YouTube video I don't even know who posted that lol. They seem to have taken some of my instagram videos somehow and put them on this video . Only realised recently . 

Ive said before on one of my posts here that I remember listening to coach on one of his podcasts talk about calisthenics guys and how they tend to have a short shelf life before they break themselves due to lack of proper programming etc . What he described was me perfectly . I was self taught and tho I was proud of that fact, im now smarter because of it and Because I was quite clueless on so many levels, this  caused me injury that I'm still rehabbing from . Even during those days I would come to the public forums here cos you guys where who i looked up to and aspired to . The fact I didn't join sooner still annoys me to this day lol. I know now I'm on a proper path and journey and love how my body is feeling and what I hopefully will achieve .

Have to admit josh Taking the step back to think "ok I now need to realise I will lose the strength and even physique I've built while I concentrate on my deficits "  was the hardest part for me but I know one day that should return but return . 

Just so happy and grateful to now have teachers on here that can teach me so being humble isn't even a thing for me in that respect 

thanks again for your kind words josh

leigh 

I was thinking of Coach's comments about the street workout guys while watching your videos.

I'm still really early in my journey and your raw strength is inspiring. Looking forward to seeing what we both can do in a couple of years. :)

Leigh Kettle

 

45 minutes ago, Josh Earl said:

was thinking of Coach's comments about the street workout guys while watching your videos.

Yeah that ship has definitely sailed josh. I don't have regrets and I'll never knock calisthenics as that path has bought me a lot in terms of exposure and getting to do things like judge comps and I've been lucky enough to travel the world doing shoots to promote it and stuff and ultimately it's that same journey that has bought me here.....but Looking back I'm so pleased I saw the light...

this is like where I'm supposed to be :-) 

very excited to see what the future has in store for us too josh . Good luck in all your training and ill always here to help or motivate if I can 

 

Tanya Hill

By the way Leigh, amazing outdoor playground. :)

 

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Tanya I built it myself lol . There was literally no where to train round my area for this kind of training so I built my own 

Ryan Segervall
On 6/24/2017 at 7:43 PM, Everett Carroll said:

When arching, you want to arch your whole spine, so keep looking up but don't force the neck arch to the point of discomfort. 

Does this mean arching in the lumbar as well? My thought was to go into extension until your last rib leaves the ground and then come back down. This would keep the lumbar in a safer neutral position while stretching the thoracic. But I do see some people preforming this that continue arching will past their last rib. 

Below is my take on it (and my first attempt), but I could be totally wrong, just trying to clarify. 

 

also if there is any glaring errors in my form let me know. 

 

Ryan Segervall
On 6/26/2017 at 2:30 PM, Leigh Kettle said:

Thanks Tanya I built it myself lol . There was literally no where to train round my area for this kind of training so I built my own 

very jealous of your set up! 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

Just arch to the point that your lower ribs leave. You are 100% correct.

I would like to see a slower tempo here, however. Use the slower pace to focus strongly on achieving more shoulder flexion. Each rep, work to let the arms lift first, then the chin, chest, and so on. 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll thanks for clearing this up!

I will keep those cues in mind next time around :)

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys 

here is my form and progress today 

this seems to be improving allot better than my supine version that I’ve just posted about 

many thanks 

 

Fiona Silk

Leigh this popped up at the top of the forum and I have to say that I am so glad to see your video from last year - it's really given me hope. I find these as hard as you obviously did in that video, and now look at you - that's some serious progress - well done! (And if you have any tips to share, apart from "carry on doing them" then please feel free! ;) )

Leigh Kettle
6 minutes ago, Fiona Silk said:

Leigh this popped up at the top of the forum and I have to say that I am so glad to see your video from last year - it's really given me hope. I find these as hard as you obviously did in that video, and now look at you - that's some serious progress - well done! (And if you have any tips to share, apart from "carry on doing them" then please feel free! ;) )

Yeah and look at the struggle in the first vid to even get that high lol

i tagged you in my insta showing my first try at these as you asked the question 

I work a hell of a lot on my flexion as you may have gathered on posts here as this was one of the worst things for me 

daily elevated cat has been the game changer for me coupled with the thoracic bridge series and foundation one paired together 

good luck and keep posting progress for feedback 

Fiona Silk

I just did the middle stretch series between posting earlier and now, and realised that I should shoot some more video, for feedback but also so I can see how far I've come. I'm only three months into my journey (with the stretch series) so quite excited to see where it goes. Your videos are very motivating because I think you were in a very similar place to where I am now. 

Thanks for the advice - will add in some elevated cat every day. Good thing to do at work as well :)

Josh Earl
22 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Hey guys 

here is my form and progress today 

this seems to be improving allot better than my supine version that I’ve just posted about 

many thanks 

 

To anyone else struggling with these: Note how he has the bands anchored at waist level. That is a huge help. That way the bands give you more of an assist.  

Christopher Denzer

Hi forum:

I think I must be misunderstanding one of Everett's cues. He mentioned waiting until the shoulder is at 180 degree flexion before letting the ribs come up off the floor. Leigh's arms and chest are coming up as a unit. I guess I imagined that one's arms would first come up, pass the ears and stop somewhere behind the head before the chest and ribs would come off the ground. Please help me before I tear my own arms out of their capsules. 

Everett Carroll
2 minutes ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Hi forum:

I think I must be misunderstanding one of Everett's cues. He mentioned waiting until the shoulder is at 180 degree flexion before letting the ribs come up off the floor. Leigh's arms and chest are coming up as a unit. I guess I imagined that one's arms would first come up, pass the ears and stop somewhere behind the head before the chest and ribs would come off the ground. Please help me before I tear my own arms out of their capsules. 

Leigh's shoulders are remaining open the entire time in the clip above. He completed that first step (off camera) and then kept his shoulders open for the pulls. 

@Leigh Kettle To complete the range of motion, you could drop your hands to the floor in between each rep and then lift them before curling. 

Christopher Denzer

Understood, Everett.

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Everett and will certainly do that next time 

many thanks

leigh