This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Correcting my imbalances

Started by Hogne Kirkebø, June 24, 2017 · 3 Replies · 128 Views

Hogne Kirkebø

Hi!

I've had an incredible journey since November with my health after some massive mental shifts and now I'm getting in pretty good shape, and in Crossfit I've found a lot of inspiration. 

I just bought the Foundation One this week and I've started on it except the stretching that I cannot afford to buy right now. 

I wanted to list the issues that I'm aware of and would love some input on how to correct them the best cause I have a lot of them. 

I played a lot of football/soccer and I work in the ambulance service which involves a lot of sitting and driving. 

One Chiropractor and one Naprapath have told me that I got hyper flexible joints and that my body tenses to stabilize and that I need to get stronger to become less tense

Is there one or two things that connect everything together? 

I'll start from the top. 

  • Stiff/tense neck and jaw. Jaw most intense on left side, neck most on right side
  • Upper trapezius very tense and full of knots.
  • Posterior deltoids tense, especially on left. Can feel it cramping in the bottom of a hanging position in the bar
  • Shoulders a bit forward tilted and my pec is tight
  • Very tense and full of knots in mid back. Especially by shoulder blades.
  • My shoulder blades come a bit out in the bottom part
  • Tense lats. My right one is visibly bigger than left
  • I'm regularly sore in my lower back after workouts.
  • My hips are very very tense, especially the left one. Sometimes when stretching hips I feel my kneecap being pulled and it pops. If squatting my hips feels compressed and not so good in the bottom position. Especially when doing weights. My right hip often pops when walking which is very frustrating. When doing normal hip stretches i dont feel i hit the correct spot. 
  • Hamstrings are tight but I can still touch the ground with my hands
  • Quads seem okey except the inner one which is excruciating when foam rolling. 
  • Calfs are stiff
  • Ankles pop, especially the left one which feels tense on the inside all the time.

When doing side splits, it is the tendons where the muscle is attached to the knees I feel it the most. 

I really want to sort all this out before it goes to far so I'm now dedicated to correcting this before everything else. 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Hogne,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the GymnasticBodies Community!

I'm happy to hear that your shape has improved lately. Foundation One will definitely help you along your way to a strong, healthy and well rounded physique. 

All these issues are very common but patience and consistency will work out your imbalances. I would highly recommend to get the Stretch series as soon as you can. These will help you with many of the problems listed above. 

I also recommend to post form checks regularly. This way we can assist you better in your training. 

I am looking forward to follow your training and help you along the way! Feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions :) 

Hogne Kirkebø

Hi again!

Is there any pictures I can post of my posture or movements to get more help ? 

I would like to understand more about how these weaknesses play out so that I can correct them better. 

If it is possible I would deeply deeply appreciate a bit of an explanation to these imbalances, or at least a pointer to where i can find the information/help I seek. 

Everett Carroll

Hi Hogne,

I strongly recommend you work closely with a medical professional as they will be able to provide the most accurate help and keep you safe. You can post videos of your Foundation progressions in the form checks section of this forum and we will provide feedback for you. All you have to do is upload to YouTube or Dropbox, make sure the privacy settings are 'unlisted', and send us the link. 

Looking forward to it!