This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular Pushups - depression?

Started by Fabio Paulus, June 23, 2017 · 2 Replies · 82 Views

Fabio Paulus

Hey everybody,

how important is depression when doing scapular pushups?

 

If I fully depress in the top (protracted) position, the distance of my shoulders to my ears is bigger than at the bottom (retracted) position fully depressed. Should I depress hard while doing the whole range of movement? Or maybe is depression not that important at the top position?

 

Thanks :)

Everett Carroll

Hey Fabio,

Awesome question. It's worth thinking about but the primary focus of the movement should be on retraction and protraction. Depression of the scaps comes into play more seriously in later progressions. 

Fabio Paulus

Ok, thanks a lot! I just felt that in mine case that the movement is a lot more "stable" if I'm holding the depression all the time. But makes the exercise also a bit harder I guess. Let's see how I will handle it in the future.