This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tightness in neck

Started by Wayne Smith, June 22, 2017 · 4 Replies · 114 Views

Wayne Smith

Hi,

Lately I have been feeling a slight tightness/stiffness at the base (nape) of my neck. Not a bad pain, but an ongoing feeling of restriction. I feel like it is caused by my shoulders/upper back getting stronger and creating an imbalance, but I can't rule out other factors (carrying a lot of work stress).

I had this similar feeling once before, a couple of years ago when I was also pushing hard on push/pull calisthenics from another program (back then I thought it was an upper shoulder issue). I saw a physio who gave me some gentle head turn/circle exercises, and pointed out some deep scar tissue I have on my neck. I'm now doing these as part of my warm up/down routines. I also skipped an upper workout this week.

I've looked through the thoracic bridge series for a stretch, but this is more a cervical issue than a thoracic one. I'm concerned that the neck circles won't be enough to counter the push/pull work.

Any suggestions?

Aaron Hughson

I have tension in the neck as well. And as we carry a lot in our traps and rhomboids it creates adhesions in the musculature.

Crazy enough I've found meditation to help a lot. As you meditate your head will fall forward and the normal tightness you would feel is dissipated greatly or is gone. It feels looser to say the least. I've done instances with meditation before stretch series and it actually helps a lot to get deeper.

 

just my .02¢

Suzanna McGee

Internally rotated shoulders (from all the pushing, and the sitting at the desk lifestyle) can cause tons of tension in the back of the neck. The Thoracic Bridge stretch will definitely help the shoulders (and thus the neck). And then, besides that, just take a peanut (two lacrosse balls glued together), lay down on the floor, put the peanut under the base of your neck where you feel the tension and just lay there and breathe (or meditate :-) ). This will release some tension too. 

Everett Carroll

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear it! Check in with another chiropractor or sports physio to get a second opinion. Otherwise, the best advice I can give you is rest and avoid any movements that irritate or cause pain to the area.  

Wayne Smith

Thanks Everyone!