Hello, so as shameful as this question may be, I have been working through fundamentals 1 and as a result of incredible stiffness I purchased 2 of the stretch programs one of them being the thoracic bridge series. For reference I have had many a random visit to a chiropractor for thoracic spine issues, and was ecstatic to find a program I could use to help open all that up. My issue is I cannot get into a bridge! (I have strength through shoulder issues and am just that un mobile in that region) unfortunately that seems to be where the money is so to speak in this stretch series, is there any advice on progressions to get into this position? or even tips to get there now. Thank you in advance, and my apologies if this has already been covered.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Any help getting into a bridge?
Started by Matthew Wood 215940, June 22, 2017 · 5 Replies · 130 Views
Thank you for the post Matthew. The thoracic bridge stretch course is to help you to get into a thoracic bridge, the emphasis being on thoracic mobility, and the bridge being made from the thoracic spine instead of the lower back. Being able to do the bridge before you start the course is not a requirement. The course will help you to do this. If you need help on how to scale some of the stretches, please don't hesitate to ask us. Submission of pictures, videos, and questions about creative scaling for stretches are all welcome.
Matthew, if you need some supports to help you just find that bridge position, some properly sized medicine balls or Swiss balls may be useful. This may help your body make those first explorations of that bridge position. Just make sure to stabilize the balls so they don't roll side to side too much. You want to feel safe in order to relax.
1 hour ago, Matthew Wood 215940 said:My issue is I cannot get into a bridge!
I struggled with that for long time too, to get into the elevated bridge… here is the thread with my solution using a rubber band. Maybe it could help you :-)
Perfect thank you. I am pleased to know both that it is not the end of the world that I cant do it, and 2 that there are some ways to get into or closer to that position and get my body used to it, I will use a medicine ball for sure, and maybe progress to the rubber band thing if necessary! Also randomly was redirected to another post that had some bridge variations I can work on. Thank you all!
I can sympathize. Usually when this stretch video gets to the handstands and bridges, I just monkey around doing some other things while the video plays until it gets to the bridge wall walks, which I can do at least a little bit. Today, while trying the elevated bridge, I got to the top of my head! A small victory to be sure, but I couldn't even get the back of my neck slightly off the ground when I started. It was like I was glued there, so to be able to get this far felt great. I am 58 and pretty sure I have not done any kind of bridge since my early teens, so there is hope! Some day my head may even leave the ground!