This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foot arch and ankle mobility

Started by Tom Pavant, June 21, 2017 · 16 Replies · 258 Views

Tom Pavant

Hi !

I can't get rid of a huge problem with my almost inexistant ankle mobility and arched foot.

Even after 6 years of crossfit and frequent stretching not much has changed. After I discovered Ido portals Squat routine 2.0, and a stretching exercise with my foot on a box, I could improve my squat a little, but I still was dependent on oly shoes to perform a squat with an upright torso for snatches or front squats. One leged squats are only possible with a weight in my hand to counterbalance and oly shoes.

(I still managed to become a quite good weightlifter with 85kg squat snatches, 120kg squat cleans, 160 back squats...however...)

I know of course that my ankles aren't my only mobility issue for perfect squats or one leged squats, but they are the main limiting factor.

I currently follow F1, HS1-2, SS, Movement (huge problems with rock and roll to squats here too).

So here's my question and I'm willing to put all the time and effort into this to improve:

What (daily) routine would you recommend to get better on this in addition to the front split series ? 

I'll attend the seminar in Gloucester in July and I hope Coach Sommer may give me some tips, but until then any help would be much appreciated ! Many thanks ;)

 

Trying to point my toes: the toe extensor is so short that the 2-5 toes can't bend down

IMG_0783.PNG.7d18548525aa344361323e7b618d0dd2.PNG

Foot in relaxed position

IMG_0782.PNG.0b95002f29fffada21ba12b013404619.PNG

Trying to point seen from above

IMG_0784.PNG.58c84cfb245bacd88047ea4235bdcfc9.PNG

External view on relaxed foot, even here the outer toes are overly extended

IMG_0786.PNG.60ea4a41d4e193347a122f554200be93.PNG

My max range of motion ;)

IMG_0787.PNG.45d2c1a2e1b15c40855eef0833407bbc.PNG

Trying to squat with my feet close to each other, this is the point before I fall back

IMG_0788.PNG.527a8ba458bf42f9ac506c608e59a45d.PNG

Trying to squat: I have to rotate externally my feet ou wide to go down, but still have to bend far forward 

IMG_0789.PNG.224141dfb6a1484ba4a46c2fcffe5b71.PNG

IMG_0793.PNG.430a8d2e489129b85b782dac0188ed54.PNG

Max mobility... Of course I almost don't feel any stretch on this exercise because there's almost no torque 

IMG_0795.thumb.PNG.80ab49dae74c9cf6b5227fc2007646df.PNG

The band helps me to add torque and the grips on the side of the box to pull forward

IMG_0794.PNG.b2b2044679a3ebdafea3abb69f956eeb.PNG

 

Yep, I know it's pretty bad...

IMG_0785.PNG

IMG_0786.PNG

Luke Searra

Tom... you have a lot of work to do. My recommendation is that you get the stretch series bundle and do a M/W/F split of the courses. You will need all 3 courses:

Front Splits (many stretches here will help with your shins, ankles, and arches)

Middle Splits (these stretches will help with overall hip flexibility and all squat related position flexibility)

Thoracic Bridge (these stretches will help with all overhead positions and front rack position for cleans and front squats)

 

Tom Pavant

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your answer. As I said I follow the stretch series and I haven't missed a session in 3 months. I have improved on almost every stretch, but not on ankle mobility. What extra work (focused solely on ankles and foot arch) could I do on an everyday basis ?

 

Thanks

Tom Pavant

Here's my best squat after ankle stretching.

I believe that one of the main problems are my ankles and arched feet, do you agree?IMG_8525.thumb.JPG.0d585af4fe164e2c832a55c8ce79ef2b.JPGIMG_8526.thumb.JPG.0b8793429026377036ff8f7157fd511d.JPG

Tom Pavant

What it looks like when I compensate the ankle mobility IMG_0834.PNG.40c55dc270d564c196ab675cd762f5b8.PNGIMG_0836.PNG.e2ff90deb75f34fcec7aa654b5902d3d.PNG

Everett Carroll

Hi Tom,

My recommendation is to perform all three seiza variations daily, for 45-60s each, in addition to your weekly front split series. Also, holding your squat position is beneficial but I noticed that when your heels are not elevated, your knees like to collapse in. Focus on keeping your hips more open so that your knees are over your feet. 

Tom Pavant

Hi Everett,

Thanks for your advice, I'll do that then.

I think the knees turn inward because of the external rotation of the feet to flatten the arch which allows me to move the knees forward...

However, I'll work on it.

 

Luke Searra

You need to work your adductors to help improve your valgus collapse Tom.

If you have not tried this before, I would like you to weight the kneeling achilles stretch from front splits with a kettle bell, the weight would be up to you. Please place the kettle bell on the front of your knee and get your knee as far forward as you can. 2 min right ankle, 2 min left ankle daily.

 

 

Screenshot 2017-06-21 12.16.53.png

Tom Pavant

Awesome Luke, thanks !

I've already been doing this, but only once a week during the front split serie. I didn't know it I could do it more often...

I'll do this everyday too then, thanks again !

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Tom,

It is okay to a pick a key stretch from the Stretch Series to work on during the week. Still save your intense stretching for your Stretch Series days

Suzanna McGee

I would also do additional myofascial release, in your feet (bottom and top), your calves and front of the leg. Hamstrings too. 

Tom Pavant

Hi Suzanna,

Thanks for your answer. I didn't even know what this is so I googled it ;) So this therapy can only be done by a physiotherapist ? Or can I do some by myself too ? At what frequency should I go to a therapist ?

Suzanna McGee
22 hours ago, Tom Pavant said:

Thanks for your answer. I didn't even know what this is so I googled it ;) So this therapy can only be done by a physiotherapist ? Or can I do some by myself too ? At what frequency should I go to a therapist ?

Maybe you could start with a therapist first so you would know what and how (s)he is doing it. Then you can definitely to do it on your own. As often as daily. You see how fast you improve. 

Everett Carroll

Agreed. Consult a therapist @Tom Pavant

Tom Pavant

Thanks for all your answers !

So I have an appointment soon with a therapist, until then I already started the stretching you recommend.

I also ordered some mobility sticks for rolling on calves, hamstrings and I'm doing some foot arched massages by stepping on a lacrossball and rolling around.

If I really manage to fix myself, I'll invite you all for a drink ;)

Matthias Schwartz

Tom, here are links to some great ankle mobilizations by Trevor Bachmeyer (a Crossfitting chiropractor), and they are heavily based on Kelly Starret's work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trevor+bachmeyer+ankle+mobility

I also strongly recommend reading Kelly's Starret's Supple Leopard book. It has mobilizations for all body parts including feet and ankles. That book and getting into self-myofascial release was life-changing for me. I think it would really help you once you get a handle on it by meeting with a therapist. 

Self-myofascial release enabled me to:

a) Have exact control over what areas I was working and how

b) Do it whenever I wanted rather than waiting for an appointment

c) Save thousands of dollars in chiro and physical therapy fees as well as all the time spent dealing with getting to appointments.

It will probably help most people similarly.

 

Tom Pavant

Awesome thanks Matthias!

Of course I knew Kstar, but Trevor Bachmeyer is new to me. Cool videos, so many different ways to work my problem !

I order Kstar's book too. Not that expensive actually.