This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Monitoring incremental improvements

Started by Paul Wallbridge, June 21, 2017 · 5 Replies · 127 Views

Paul Wallbridge

Hi,

First off, I fully appreciate that reconditioning of connective tissue could take a year or more to achieve.

The exercises I'm working towards are predominantly ring, p-bars and pommel and so straddle is an essential element for me. I've been working on middle split since March and feel like there are improvements but have found it hard to quantify them.

for example, I now find straddle sits (manna F1) far easier than a couple of months ago and form has improved. However, I don't feel like my splits are any better and my pancake is awful - I'm barely able to lean forward and am miles away from getting my should anywhere near my leg, let alone inside the knee!

i wondered if there were any supplementary tests I can do to see where my hips are deficient and what exercises might be suitable to help improve the situation. They are really holding me back in other areas such as straddle L

thanks in advance!

 

Elijah Hernandez

I'm definitely interested in this. I have the same issues with not being able to bend forward in a pancake at all.

Everett Carroll

Hey Paul,

The "assessment" would be the manna mobility drills from Foundations. The MN>iM's, especially the weighted ones, are going to be the best supplemental work you can do. Coach says it's fine, even productive, to work on more advanced mobility drills. Just avoid training the more advanced strength progressions until you have reached them. Otherwise, keep hitting your MS Stretch Series once a week and the results will surely follow. The extra weighted mobility is going to be gold and really boost your progress. 

Paul Wallbridge

Thanks Everett, I'm guessing the weight MN mobility comes in F2 onwards? The majority in F1 are stall bars.

still trying to figure a way to to the stall bar exercises as I can see the potential benefits from those exercises. Could I use a weighted bar across shoulders to help push down into pancake?

Paul Wallbridge

@Everett Carroll I thought some photos of progress might help:

my pancake side stretch

IMG_0170.thumb.JPG.64486327eff052d7483db2f23aefc396.JPG

This is the extent of my butterfly!IMG_0168.thumb.JPG.da1ff7a5827d0334614ca540cf89c704.JPG

IMG_0169.thumb.JPG.e31745bb820cec31891917d0f8bb1b9d.JPG

And pancake- my legs are barely over 90 degrees:IMG_0171.thumb.JPG.383eaddaf2f8db73367d8256cc9ec9d8.JPG

Everett Carroll

Hey Paul,

The first two iM progressions do require weight so weighted mobility is started immediately in your Foundation Core Workouts. Let's keep any future questions/comments about Foundation iM's in the appropriate subsection. 

My recommendation for your pancake and butterfly work is to elevate your hips by sitting on something like a stretch block. This will allow you to achieve a straight back, which is especially important when working on pancake. Anterior pelvic tilt is a must and the blocks will allow you to achieve that while still making progress with your flexibility.