This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Order of stretching vs exercising

Started by Robert Davis, June 21, 2017 · 1 Replies · 108 Views

Robert Davis

Hi all,

When I first reviewed the Handstand 1 course a couple years ago I decided to switch the order of the warmup so I would to the 4 exercises first (first knuckle pushups, etc.) and then stretch for 30 seconds each of the 4 directions.  I was under the impression that stretching is best after warming up and exercises after stretching not as beneficial.  

But recently I noticed a GB blog entry (https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/relieve-stubborn-hamstring-tightness-just-5-minutes/) which recommended 2 stretches and then an active flexibility exercise to "Make Your Flexibility Stick".  Certainly performing strenuous exercise after doing one of the full stretch series could lead to injury, right?  However that is an extreme example, at a smaller scale (like the 5 minutes it takes to "relieve stubborn hamstring tightness" or do the wrist warmup) is it really beneficial to perform exercises after stretching?. 

Thanks,

Robert

Alessandro Mainente

Generally speaking, the long stretch is not good before strength training. But in this case the forearm are so strong that they are not influenced so much as other muscles, also a bit of stretch before it is good to ensure a correct range fo motion after.