This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE3 Form Check

Started by Elijah Hernandez, June 20, 2017 · 10 Replies · 139 Views

Elijah Hernandez

Howdy, everyone. 

This is my first form check to post. In fact, this is really the first filming I've done of myself for form purposes since starting GST. After filming, I think I have gone up too far too fast in the programming. I'd still like some opinions about my form. If I need to move back down, how far down should I go? It seems as if I have issues with PPT. 

As always, thanks for your time!

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Elijah,

At the beginning of your set your protraction is okay, however, as you said, there is room to improve. As you get tired you lose protraction and begin to pike your hips. Before focusing on your lean, focus on hitting good form. Once your protraction and PPT are locked in, the lean will be much easier to master.

Can you also upload a video of your PE2 mastery set?

Elijah Hernandez

@Jeffrey Bittner  I'll work on doing a mastery set this week from PE2 rather than repeating PE3. I'll video it and upload here for review. Thanks a lot for weighing in!

Elijah Hernandez

Siiiigh... just injured myself trying tondo squats. Looks like I'll be out of commission for a while. Thanks for the help anyway.

Elijah Hernandez

So, I am actually able to do push ups just fine. Due to the restricted space in here, I wasn't able to get a perfect side shot. But, if you can see what you need to see, could I please get a review of my HBP/PE2 mastery?

Thanks!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Elijah,

Thank you for taking the time to upload your video. You are doing a nice job of keeping PPT as you do your push ups. I recommend revisiting this progression and focusing on protracting the scapula completely on each rep. Currently to you are pressing up to a neutral scapula position. Protracting on each rep will help prepare you for hollow back work down the line.

Elijah Hernandez

@Jeffrey Bittner Thanks for the advice. Should I stay at Step 9 or move back down? I don't have any problem with completing the number of reps. Also, to work on protraction of the scapula, I think I have read that imagining a hot poker touching your chest at the top of the movement is the best way to accomplish it. Is that correct?

Thanks again for all your help!

Alessandro Mainente

Limit the reps and sets at the number where you can hold the correct body alignment and scapiulae position. then move on.

Elijah Hernandez

Thanks, Alex. I'll scale it down a lot, then, I suppose. Cheers!

 

Elijah Hernandez

Filmed myself a bit more today - this time from the side - just to see what it looks like. Only after watching a video on YouTube after I filmed mine did I really learn what scapula protraction was... so, I felt like posting that video here would be a decent idea.

Cheers!

Pauline Taube

These are looking good Elijah! Nice work :)