This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL PE5

Started by Patrick Johnston, June 19, 2017 · 6 Replies · 107 Views

Patrick Johnston

I know that I am not at or near mastery.  But I'm uploading a video in search of advice.  I don't know that I can protract the scapulae any more than I am here.  I've been on this one quite a while.  Any advice (dropping back in progression, supplementary work, etc.).  I'm an older guy if that matters.

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Patrick,

At about 5 seconds in you hit good protraction, but as soon as you lean you lose it. You also have a sizable pike in your hips. This progression will be much easier with strong protraction and PPT.

Can you also upload a video of your single arm plank?

Patrick Johnston

Jeffrey:

 

Thank you for your help!  And believe me, I'm trying to tuck the pelvis and I'm trying to protract the scapulae.  I don't really feel like it's hard to do muscularly, but I can't seem to keep them in this position.  Again, all help is appreciated!

Everett Carroll

Hey Patrick,

This progression would be good to revisit. @Jeffrey Bittner made a solid call requesting this one. I recommend re-training this progression and working on pushing even more strongly through the supporting arm. Basically, push "through" the floor, lifting your chest as high as possible. This is going to be tough at first, but keep focusing on that and maintaining strongly engaged glutes and core. 

Patrick Johnston

Everett:

Thank you and I will do that.  However, on the one arm and the lean, I don't really feel that it is a matter of strength preventing the protraction.  I could be wrong.  But if I don't push too hard, I'm like I am in the videos.  If I push like my life depends upon it, I'm still like I am in the videos.  I'm wondering if I don't have some spinal mobility limitations.

Patrick Johnston

Oh, and if anyone knows of or could suggest supplemental exercises, lay them on me!  Thank you.

Pauline Taube

Hi Patrick,

The Thoracic Bridge course have a series of stretches and exercises that will help you improve your spinal mobility :)